• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ICey Res a/c powered intercooler resevoir

svt4stv

Hard-core CEG'er
we make these for the Lightnings and soon for the cobras, followed by the mini coopers. im wondering if they could be useful in the contour market at all...

i dont know if they are (ive done a liiittle research, ok VERY little) water to air or air to air turbo systems that are used in the contours. if water to air, then this kit will work for it.

although i dont know if the turbo contours or s/c contours suffer from heat soak at all like the Lightnings, cobras and mini coopers do.

our tester datalogged this in his Lightning and experieced consistent 30 degree temp drops in his IAT2s.

just curious if this is something you guys could use. we're making a batch right now.

http://www.trueforgedwheels.com/forgedperformance.html

The a/c would need to be on to pump the fluid, right? I'm wondering:
a) the trade off -- parasitic loss due to the compressor vs cooler i/c water
b) how this affects the a/c's performance with it heating up the refrigerant

They do suffer from heat soak. Most that use a w/a i/c in A Contour have the resevoir in the trunk. You would have to relocate or run lines to the trunk. That would be a pita, not to mention there is already enough junk under the hood as it is now, running those lines to the trunk would not be fun.. Love the idea though, been trying to think of ways to keep i/c temps down with out having to use ice all the time. Don't like the idea of the a/c pump having to run though to make this work. :cool:

Love the idea though.......Don't like the idea.....

Make up your mind brett! :)

I don't think this would be very practical for a Contour, although I do like the idea. I am also curious to know how this would affect a/c temps in the car... would it require a bigger condensor and a better compressor to keep efficient a/c temps?

Whach you talkin about willis. :crazy:

Keeping I/C cool good, running a/c compressor to do it, no good. IMO

Did I mention I like the idea

I wonder if it works all the time or just when the ac is on? Does it require changes to the ac system?

The way I think it should work:
The ac cools down the water and the water will stay cool for a little while like when you do a full throttle run. It only adds either a second evaporator case with a heat exchanger in it or it adds an exchanger to the current evaporator case in the car.

I hope the ac system isn't really altered in operation with this kit, it sounds like all you'd need is a heatercore type of device added to the contour's evaporator case and insulate all the piping. Also a switched valve to cut off flow to the radiator mounted heat exchanger when the ac is being used to cool it. Then if the the AC runs and cools the water down when you have the ac on you'd be good for the next full throttle run. As long as you can turn off the ac you should be able to run the system like normal. If it is cool outside it won't be an issue because it won't be on.

all of your strange questions are confusing me. your modern world frightens me :laugh:

if you read the thread links that are posted in that thread, you'll see that it has already been tried, tested and proven.

yes, it only works when the a/c is on. i dont know about the contours, but with the Lightnings and Cobras the a/c automatically shuts off when you go WOT. also, i dont about the contour power levels but the parasitic loss compared to the NON-loss of temps in a 500hp s/c vehicle are nil. read the threads. in the first one, iirc, there are charts the guy posted from his data logging.

the only changes to the a/c system are that you add a few more cans of R134a to the system to maintain the a/c temps in the cabin. no extra compressors or anything are needed. the guy who designed these has been making/selling them for a few years now. no issues at all with the system.

Last edited:
They do suffer from heat soak. Most that use a w/a i/c in A Contour have the resevoir in the trunk.

well then you have to run water lines back there right?? all you'd have to do is tap into that, somewhere. this box is approximately 9x6x7 and can be installed just about anywhere. then just tap into the IC lines and run the a/c hoses. im sure you could fit this behind the front bumper, even with an intercooler in there.

if these things didnt cost so damn much id send you one to play with warmonger, to see if you guys would want to sell them with your kits, as an option.

if i end up running a nautilus turbo or s/c on my tour, ill fab one of these up to work with it.

if you follow the links in that thread, you'll see the Lightning guys who already have them are praising this product and stating that they arent experiencing the usual power loss they suffer when getting on it. what they are experiencing is 30 degrees (or more) temperature drops :cool:

I would prefer to have to have it connected to the resevoir. Would work way better. I prefer to keep the resevoir in the trunk as well. So that mean a/c lines to the trunk, blah. I bet it works great for the L'S/Cobras. :cool:

here is a remote-mounted cylinder version we made for a Lightning.
IMG_0232.jpg

completely sealed dropped the temps by FORTY degrees with this one. this one uses special tubing instead of the standard core we use. these are actually much easier to make which means we could sell them for less. if there was enough interest, id make sure we could do them for pretty cheap for the contour crowd, on the DL though :cool:

we're currently wrapping up the ones for the mustangs. sounds like you guys are making an eaton set-up for them too.

heatsoak is heatsoak, so imagine not really having any any more. we can get look more into it when you guys get the Eaton set up going. will that set up be intercooled? is it set up like the cobra ones? with the intercooler mounted underneath the blower? :nonono: are you guys going to set up a heat exchanger for it? you know, you could use an ICey Res and forgo a heat exchanger alltogether. although that would mean running your a/c when you want to go into boost. but even if only for a minute or two it will cool the temps down dramatically. some of the L guys have yanked out their HE when using the ICey Res.

here is a remote-mounted cylinder version we made for a Lightning.
IMG_0232.jpg

completely sealed dropped the temps by FORTY degrees with this one. this one uses special tubing instead of the standard core we use. these are actually much easier to make which means we could sell them for less. if there was enough interest, id make sure we could do them for pretty cheap for the contour crowd, on the DL though :cool:

we're currently wrapping up the ones for the mustangs. sounds like you guys are making an eaton set-up for them too.

heatsoak is heatsoak, so imagine not really having any any more. we can get look more into it when you guys get the Eaton set up going. will that set up be intercooled? is it set up like the cobra ones? with the intercooler mounted underneath the blower? :nonono: are you guys going to set up a heat exchanger for it? you know, you could use an ICey Res and forgo a heat exchanger alltogether. although that would mean running your a/c when you want to go into boost. but even if only for a minute or two it will cool the temps down dramatically. some of the L guys have yanked out their HE when using the ICey Res.

yes the eaton for the mustang and the mazda 6 and the contour are all intercooled intakes look me up when you get a price. Joey

ok, maybe I am crazy, but how exactly is it a good idea to rely on an intercooler device that requires running the air conditioning, which will inevitably lead to the build up of condensation and the dropping of water on the track?

As a street cooling device, I think this setup is brilliant, but if used on a vehicle that goes to the track, it seems dangerous.

i thought i had seen a dyno done before(not on this board) that showed a/c only used 4-5 whp. and yes,it does shut off at wot like most cars.

ok, maybe I am crazy, but how exactly is it a good idea to rely on an intercooler device that requires running the air conditioning, which will inevitably lead to the build up of condensation and the dropping of water on the track?

As a street cooling device, I think this setup is brilliant, but if used on a vehicle that goes to the track, it seems dangerous.

if you read the links i posted, people give their testimonies from using it at the track. there is no condensation on the box and the guy said he didnt drop any water on the track. he used it all the way up to the burnout box then turned it off, made his pass, then turned it back off to begin the immediate cool down phase.

Back