• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC: Oil pan baffling

I can say with 100% certainty that if your using a Taurus/Sable oil pan this improved baffle will not work for you. The Taurus/Sable pan has a completely different internal design. See picture below.

taurusoilpan.jpg

I'm interested , getting tired of spun rod bearings. Hopefully this will help. I've had rod bearing failure in 2-2.5L and one 3.0L. Send me a pm when you're getting ready to make this happen. I may forget to check the group buy..so if you could send me a pm on here and newcougar.org when the group buy is happening.(I have memory problems from getting shot in the head a couple years ago) Thanks!

I'm interested , getting tired of spun rod bearings. Hopefully this will help. I've had rod bearing failure in 2-2.5L and one 3.0L. Send me a pm when you're getting ready to make this happen. I may forget to check the group buy..so if you could send me a pm on here and newcougar.org when the group buy is happening.(I have memory problems from getting shot in the head a couple years ago) Thanks!

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll contact you when this gets off the ground.

2 more people. I should probably post this over on NECO too...

Interested list

1. tsSVT
2. FastFord - depending on price
3. Daven
4. SVOFANATIC - depending on price
5. qbcsvt
6. jtidaho
7. Icefury - depending on price
8. docfeelgood111

Spun rod bearings are caused by bad connecting rods and/or bad connecting rod bolts, not oil starvation problems. An exception can be that the rods/rod bolts have stretched to the point that crush is lost on the bearings; oil starvation could pop the bearing loose but it is still not the root cause. Upgrade your engine with K-1 or Pauter Connecting Rods and the problem will go away.

Meanwhile, I'll get on the list just for the hell of it since this isn't a budget buster mod by any means:

1. tsSVT
3. Daven
5. qbcsvt
6. jtidaho
8. docfeelgood111
9. mrspindlelegs

Well I got a change to pull the oil pan off of the 2.5L engine in my garage. The baffling looks like it should work. Bolt locations are in the same spot. Slight differences in the shape of the pan. The notches for clearance of a fin is in the same location on the 3L, but the 3L doesn't have the fin. Also the 2.5L baffle expands out on the one side where the 3L doesn't. While this still allows for the baffle I designed to fit, it won't cover the entire open area of the 2.5L pan. To me this is not a problem. See the picture below. I will clean the pan up tomorrow and install the OEM 3L baffle to ensure it fits correctly. 3L pan show below for reference. Stay tuned...

2.5L / 3L
25lpan.jpg
baffle.jpg

Last edited:
Well since there seems to be enough interest I went ahead and sent the parts out for quote. I should hear back in a couple of dates as to the exact costs and lead times. I did request them to be quoted in both 304 Stainless steel as well as standard cold rolled A1008 steel.

I may have a dumb question here but the new baffle what are the blades running the length for? If they are to keep the oil from moving around too much shouldn't they be running the width instead since the pan will be sideways in the car and through corners the oil will run back and forth length wise? Something I just thought about.

I may have a dumb question here but the new baffle what are the blades running the length for? If they are to keep the oil from moving around too much shouldn't they be running the width instead since the pan will be sideways in the car and through corners the oil will run back and forth length wise? Something I just thought about.

No, the fins are a continuation of the OEM fins in the pan. The tube on the bottom provides the baffling for the pickup.

Just an update, I received most of the quotes on the parts and there is not a significant cost increase to go with Stainless steel so I am going to continue with that route. When I receive the quote for the bottom tube section I'll start an official GB thread as I'll most likely be purchasing all of the material to build 10 baffles. As it sits right now with an educated guess on the price for making the tube section I'm thinking the final product in stainless steel will be ~$80 + S&H just as I mentioned before. I may be able to reduce it some, but that is looking to be right on the money.

That said if any of you are contemplating on buying in on this I strongly suggest doing so soon and getting on the list. As I am not going to wait around to long for people to fill up the order board. I need this to finish my car and while I'm willing to buy enough material for 10 pieces, I'm not willing to buy more then that without commitment for it. As it is right now I feel that there is a market for the 10 given the interested list below.

1. tsSVT
3. Daven
5. qbcsvt
6. jtidaho
8. docfeelgood111
9. mrspindlelegs
10. CSVT#49 (obviously)

EDIT: Forgot to mention I did install the 3L baffle into the 2.5L pan and it fit perfectly (2.5L left and 3L installed right). See pics below as well as a comparison.

25lbaffle.jpg
3lbafflein25lpan.jpg

bafflecompare.jpg

Last edited:
Back