• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

IC - Custom billet shift knobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart-Grant

CEG'er
Cross post from NECO:

Stuart-Grant said:
Hi all, I'm looking into having a few shift knobs made and would like to bounce the idea off of every one else. Knob would be as described in the print below, 6061 aluminum with black anodized coating with a surface finish of 63 micro inches, which is about the same as the base of a CPU heat sink. The spherical radius of the knob was based on the front extension of my stock shift knob. I'll have one made before I do a full run to test the feel and fitment of this design.

Since it will be aluminum, the part will be heavier. My stock 2000 knob weighs in at 2.2oz, this knob will weigh 8.9oz, a similar steel one would weigh 1lb 9.8oz

Shift Knob ANSI A Title Block (1).pdf

Also, I'll have to work out specific cost's as well as threading details, but I can custom engrave the flat top surface. Engraving would reveal the aluminum surface below the anodizing providing a high contrast image. I can't guarantee durability on these. Engraving would be an extra cost on top of the knob. I am told I can engrave from any jpg, pdf, raster, png, or svg image, as well as custom text in a variety of Windows fonts, you will have to provide the image in black and white, I can resize.

I could also have them black powder coated and etch that if anyone thinks durability would be an issue. I won't be taking custom anodizing orders as that would require extra setups increasing the cost, if it comes down to it I would do custom powder for a cost, probably sending them off to Blu_Fuz. Powder will also be warmer in the winter, but you'll probably still want to swap it out with the stock one in freezing weather.

Whichever has more interest, Powder or Anodize, will be what's requested of the machine shop, so no customs.

I loose access to the laser engraving machine in August, so it would have to be before then if this goes through.

If you'd be at all interest please post saying you'd be interested in the following format:

1: Stuart-Grant (NECO) Purple Powder coat with engraving (will provide file)
2: Stuart-Grant (CEG) Anodize without engraving
3: Stuart-Grant (NECO) Anodize with Cougar Head emblem/5speed patern, etc..

You get the idea, just copy my list and add yourself to it, the next person copy the first guy's and so on.

I'll send the full RFQ off to the machinist on May 20th, so you have till then to decide. I will request quotes for half and quarter orders as well in case some people back out.

Attachments

• Shift Knob ANSI A Title Block (1)..pdf
    78 KB · Views: 0
None as yet, I want to get an idea of how many to have the guy quote as volume greatly effects the final price here.

As for engraving, I'm thinking about $15-$20. Does anyone know if shift arms all have their threads started at the same point, IE if I orient the engraving on my shifter will it orient on another cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back