• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I really hate the MNB steering wheel

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Looks like a purple/blue pastel bleh wheel to me so I changed it out for a black setup from a Cougar.

Before:

100_1639.jpg

After:

100_1640.jpg

Then it started to rain so I didn't want to apply one of the airbag inlays that I have with the humidity way up. I'll wait for a nice day where it can setup properly.

100_1641.jpg

The swap is complete down to the column trim. Black wheel, black airbag, black column. I finally have a black steering wheel again! Plenty of other black trim in the MNB interior so it matches up very well.

Next step, 98.5 warp free dash!

Heh thanks, I think it looks better. You've got first dibs on the MNB wheel, I'm just going to wait a few days before I put it all up for sale to make sure that I really really do like the black stuff better after having it actually in front of me driving around.

If your MNB wheel is all messed up then why not convert to black as well? It is a direct swap and takes all of a half hour if that.

Heh thanks, I think it looks better. You've got first dibs on the MNB wheel, I'm just going to wait a few days before I put it all up for sale to make sure that I really really do like the black stuff better after having it actually in front of me driving around.

If your MNB wheel is all messed up then why not convert to black as well? It is a direct swap and takes all of a half hour if that.

and my local JY has 2 good black Cougar wheels/airbags with the covers. I thought about getting one for my car but idk how well it would go with the tan interior.

I was lazy and just hit up a few ppl on NECO who were selling what I wanted. I'm sure I can re-sell my MNB stuff for the same I paid for the black stuff and break even money wise. As for a black wheel on tan... I bet it'd look good. If the instrument bezel is black then IMO, go for it because you already have black trim for it to match up to. I think mine will look tons better when I get the insert on there and give it a good coat of Meguiars.

oh i love the black cougar steering wheel, if i could find one, i would do it. i just can't get that lucky tho

Stupid easy to swap out too, it'll literally take you 20 minutes. 5 screws for the trim, 2 T25 torx that hold the airbag on and are easy to get at despite what ppl will tell you. Then a 15mm socket for the wheel bolt and out she comes. Install in reverse. Obviously make sure you disconnect the battery for a minute before you start to avoid blowing yourself up lol. And make sure you remember to switch over the blinker turn off plastic thinger the first time haha. Sucks to be driving and you turn and the blinker doesn't turn off and you realize you forgot one stupid little thing. For inlays I'll have to dig up the site I used. They're actually center caps but they are the right size and they are domed. I got silver because I have a silfro, the guy can do them any color tho. I still don't know exactly how well it'll fit in there but it is the exact same size as the cougar emblem so it should be good.

0317101627.jpg

Terrible cell phone picture of the center badge I just installed. It doesn't QUITE fill up the area left by the Cougar logo but it is very close and it looks good. Its funny how something so small makes the interior look a bazillion times better.

I thought about getting one for my car but idk how well it would go with the tan interior.

About half of the COugars on the road have tan interior with black steering wheels. Mine does.

Black was the only color for the steering wheel for all 4 model years, so it went with ANY interior color :)

There are a ton of cars with non-black interiors and black steering wheels. It basically goes with anything so long as there are other black trim pieces in the car.

Looks good, a great alternative to hard to find MNB steering wheels.

Any luck on shooting some zoomed out shots to see how it flows overall with the interior? You did not forget about me did you? :D

Wow I keep forgetting about this thread. I'll get a pic up soon I swear. I've had a ****ton of stuff going on with moving and re-enlisting in the af ($40k bonus makes you do silly things), getting a new DD etc...

Back