• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need help with resonator!!!

mattsBLK99cSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I just purchused a black 99 csvt with 71,000 miles. I used to have a 98 Merc Mistake(JK), that car was awesome and It even saved my life, I totaled it on I-90 (fell asleep at the wheel) but Its all good now I got the pride of the fleet my dream car THE SVT!! I am new to ceg and i hear all this word about removing the stock resonator, I'm kinda of a newb but I was wondering what you replace the resonator with? And where you can get it? Thanx

P.s. and i don't know if i should even do this or if i should buy the bat y pipe n stuff

Welcome to the CEG.
Congrats on your SVT purchase.

i see what to do i'm just not sure exactly to do do i buy this magnaflow 4" resonator and have it custom bended to my fit my exhaust or what? please help im quite dumb when it comes to this i only know the basics

Basically what you're wanting to do is have a muffler shop cut the original resonator (not mufflers) off and replace with either a magnaflow for a nice sound or even just have them weld straight piping in where the resonator used to be. There is not a ton of performance to be had in doing this but the sound is much better either way you go. If you have a shop just weld in straight piping, it shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks. You'll be pleased with the sound. There are many ways to get good sound out of the exhaust. Just do some searching in this forum on the "Posting Page". There is a search button at the bottom of the page. You'll get all sorts of fun pointers and reviews of different setups. There are also some very good ways to gain real power on these cars by way of exhaust and intake mods. Like stated before, just do a search one page back.
There is no bending necessary in order to fit a different resonator in where the original was. If you get under the car, the resonator is the looong muffler looking thing. It's only purpose is to quiet the exhaust and act as a restricter of power-producing exhaust flow...lol. If you do buy a new resonator, go with magnaflow. It is tried and true. Once again, search and you will find many recommendations.

Buy the Trubendz Resonated Magnaflow kit. By far the best sounding and most popular exhaust for the Contour, not to mention it will sound better and get more power than just swapping out the resonater.

Back