• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I/C Heat Exchanger

rac74

CEG'er
Those with turbos/superchargers with a L/A intercooler, what are the dimensions is the heat exchanger with them?

I'm modifying my old A/C condensor to work since it is basically radiator technology and radiator technology is for cooling water/glycol and it'll be cooling water.

I went as big as I could and cut out a piece 6"x19"x.625" (lxwxd) and will be rewelding the ends and tapping them with AN fittings to recieve the hose for the I/C and send back out. Then make custom brackets to mount it.

Also, what order does your I/C cooling system run starting with the resevoir?

I do not know the exact dimensions, ~3"x5x16?? The piping is currentley running from the tank>pump>IC>Heat Exchanger>tank. My tank and pump are in the trunk now, but I have plans to try to get it all under the hood come spring time.

I am running one from the Kenne Bell GT supercharger kit...I got it for like 40 bucks on ebay...it is the same as a Cobra heat exchanger.

I can try to get a shot today and up tonight. It will be through the mesh as I dont want to remove the bumper.

Here is a picture of the heat exchanger when I originally did my install.

Attachments

• heatexchanger.JPG
    heatexchanger.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
Considering how big the water tube is, I think I may need to go with something like that. Not so much cooling effect (aluminum disapates heat better) but overall flow being the concern. Does anyone know how you can calculate needed flow? Thanks for the pic.

Edit: I'm going to use my old SVT radiator and set it up as a 2 pass core since it is thicker. The aftermarket heat exchangers for the cobra's are about the same core dimensions and use an aluminum core.

Last edited:
Back