• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hybrid Question

imnotacop420

Squire of Awesome
Im pretty sure I read A LONG TIME AGO that if you use 2001+ cougar heads when building a hybrid you dont need to block the coolant passages, can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

Im pretty sure I read A LONG TIME AGO that if you use 2001+ cougar heads when building a hybrid you dont need to block the coolant passages, can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks

Wade just did this and im pretty sure thats correct. I will ask him to verify though.

I did just build one - 03 Escape shortblock with 02 Cougar heads. I couldn't find any documentation saying that you had to do anything...everyone just said it was "supposed" to work, but I couldn't find anyone who had done one either to confirm.

I couldn't find any ports that didn't line up correctly so I bolted it together. That being said, the car has only ran for about 40 minutes in the garage...so take that for what it's worth. I have a few more things to fix on it (brakes, etc) and I should be able to drive it soon.

To show the difference between building a hybrid with 01/02 2.5 heads vs. 98/99/00 2.5 heads, I took these pictures:

The 1st picture is with the 00 2.5 SVT head sitting on the 3.0 block. Note the uncovered passage:

svt0157-42.jpg

Now with the revised 01/02 2.5 head sitting on the 3.0 block

svt0157-44.jpg

And again, different passage. 00 2.5 head:

svt0157-43.jpg

02 2.5 head:

svt0157-45.jpg

thanks for the info guys! :cool:

I must have read it back on the old forums.....but I know it has been posted before.

Let us know when you get that hybrid on the road wade

I will. Like I said, I couldn't find any info on it either...I wish I could've.

I have a build thread on NECO about it. The car is a total budget build (hence the hybrid...I had the parts in the garage). I drug the car out of a field in upstate NY, and it probably should've been scrapped due to the rust, but I decided to go ahead with it.

I plan on a budget build as well. I'm going to pick up 3L out of a '03 sable this evening. I wanted to do a hybrid setup, does this mean I should start looking for an '01/'02 SVT head/cam package? What else will I need from the SVT to make the conversion? (Going into a '98 SE)

I plan on a budget build as well. I'm going to pick up 3L out of a '03 sable this evening. I wanted to do a hybrid setup, does this mean I should start looking for an '01/'02 SVT head/cam package? What else will I need from the SVT to make the conversion? (Going into a '98 SE)

You would need to get cougar heads from 01/02. Considering you are doing a 'budget build' picking up a set of heads and buying the gaskets needs to be added to your budget. It might be more cost effective to go the ported 3L route rather than spending the extra money on heads.

The only reason this was a cost effective solution for wade is becuase he had the spare parts needed laying around arleady.

You would need to get cougar heads from 01/02. Considering you are doing a 'budget build' picking up a set of heads and buying the gaskets needs to be added to your budget. It might be more cost effective to go the ported 3L route rather than spending the extra money on heads.

The only reason this was a cost effective solution for wade is becuase he had the spare parts needed laying around arleady.

Ok, I've heard of this ported 3L annotation; what exactly does it mean? Are you getting the heads ported? I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole scene and am using the contour for a track car.

Ok, I've heard of this ported 3L annotation; what exactly does it mean? Are you getting the heads ported? I'm sorry, I'm new to this whole scene and am using the contour for a track car.

you can purchase a 3L from http://www.3lduratec.com/main.html, the owner is a member of the forum. If you go that route you can simply just drop the motor in. If you want to do the porting on your own you will need to contact a member here named bugzuki, he makes porting plates so you can do the porting on your own. Basicly a ported 3L adapts the 3L oval port heads so they can be used with the contour split port intakes. Or if you dont like the idea of porting you can get a nautilus performance lower intake (the owner is also a member here), which will allow you to use your contour upper intake manifold on the 3L without the need for porting. http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i61.html

Back