• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

huhhh sound when braking just b4 stopping

double_u_4

Veteran CEG'er
i just changed my pads & rotors on all 4s about a week ago. everythings been fine. then today when i am about to stop i hear a loud "huhhh" sound for just a sec. it does it when i am about to stop with very light pressure on the pedal. it doesnt do it any other time. i dont feel any shake or vibration. i cant really tell if its from the fronts or rear, sometimes it sounds like the fronts other times it sounds like the rears. only does it when i am going forward, it does it just about everytime now.

You don't ever want to put anything directly on the brake pad. The brake quiet stuff goes on the backing plate of the pad where it contacts the caliper.

could be the ABS motor kicking on. I had a similar problem on my SVT. just before coming to a stop the ABS motor would kick in because it thought one of the wheels had locked up. turned out that one of the rear ABS tone rings was broken. replaced both rear wheel hub/bearings to get new tone rings and never had the problem again. take a good look at the entirety of all 4 tone rings and make sure there isnt one broken (even just barely cracked can give bad readings).

ya ill have to check those. i know something has to be up with the ABS, my light has been on since i got the car. ive changed out all the sensors. but this sounds more like something is rubbing for a sec.
ya i know not to put the grease on the pad. maybe i didnt put enough of the grease on. i know i did just put a thin coat on them.

Back