• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to re-time a zetec

I have the crank pin and the cam alignment tool. What I don't recall is if there are timing marks for the cams. is there a way to make sure they are no out of phase?

I can see the red marks on the cams that my father and I marked when we changed the timing belt 118k miles/few years ago. But I don't recall if the other marks are still visible.

picture.php

unfortunately there arent any marks on the gears that can be used. this is because they are not keyed so they can be installed in any position. the easiest thing to do would be to put the crank pin in, turn the crank to TDC against the pin, remove the valve cover and see how far off the cams are from allowing the bar to slip into the slots.

now iirc the bar for the cams will only fit one way? thats means with the cam bar in place the cams would be timed correctly? then all one would have to do is set the crank to TDC and install new belt and pulleys?

so basically just turn the cams until the bar fits?

now iirc the bar for the cams will only fit one way? thats means with the cam bar in place the cams would be timed correctly? then all one would have to do is set the crank to TDC and install new belt and pulleys?

so basically just turn the cams until the bar fits?
yup. :cool:

good to know. maybe I'll start in on this tonight after work since it will be somewhat warmer. at least we have good weather while I have to drive the SVT now ...

I'd love to see a complete process write up detailed with pics for when I have to do it to mine.

your 98 with VCT is different then the pre-98 without VCT. also autozone should have a good write-up with photos.

another question, where does the crank tdc pin go?

I'd love to see a complete process write up detailed with pics for when I have to do it to mine.

there is a good write up for the 98+ VCT Zetec here.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=52739

your 98 with VCT is different then the pre-98 without VCT. also autozone should have a good write-up with photos.

another question, where does the crank tdc pin go?

lower portion of the engine, radiator side, near cylinder 4. there is a bolt that you remove and thread the crank pin into the hole, IIRC the bolt is a 10mm head.

everything worked perfectly. its running again. but what ever was making noise still is :help:. already replaced the idler so that leaves the tensioner, alternator, p/s and a/c. noted the ac compressor was alittle tight. don't believe its the p/s or alternator as both work fine. will have to pull the belt tomorrow and check.

Back