• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to prep Bumpers, Sideskirts, Mirko for Paint?

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I have been removing paint off my car recently for a paint job! Unfortunately I do not want to mess with my bumpers, side skirts and Mirko until I know a good process for those types of materials. IIRC the mirko is made of Fiberglass and the Bumpers/sideskirts are made of ABS Plastic?

To make it clear my car is Black and I will be repainting it White.

For anyone with experience to doing this please recommend or share your process for preperation for primer then paint....

Thanks

- Amyn

I have been removing paint off my car recently for a paint job! Unfortunately I do not want to mess with my bumpers, side skirts and Mirko until I know a good process for those types of materials. IIRC the mirko is made of Fiberglass and the Bumpers/sideskirts are made of ABS Plastic?

To make it clear my car is Black and I will be repainting it White.

For anyone with experience to doing this please recommend or share your process for preperation for primer then paint....

Thanks

- Amyn
if the paint is still in good shape i would lightly scuff them, seal them, base them, and then clear em

A lot of the generic questions you have about prepping for a repaint are on youtube. Give that a looky, lots of good info there. ;).

Ya I saw them I just wanted to know your processes used to sand the bumper as I dont want to accidentally reshape it. I mean the bumpers are made of different materials....

I am probably going to be smart on this one and take the bumper to the body shop and do everything there with an eye over my shoulder every so often. Then come back home and do the other bumper, side skirts and Mirko.

- amyn

if you sanding hard enough to reshape the bumper your trying to hard:help:

Back