• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How To On Brights With Fog Lights

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
So, how do you rewire the harness to have your brights on with your parking lights, just like your fogs? Which wire is it?

Thanks

That would be accomplished through the use of DTRL's (Day Time running lights).
OR If you wanted the actual full high beams on you would have to trick the highbeam wire into thinking the lowbeams were on, much like you do to the fog lights in the foglight mod. The foglight mod lists what each wire comming off the relay is so I would plan from there. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

If you do the original fog light mod (in the how-to's on the main site) so you can run the fogs with your parking lights, the fogs will no longer turn off when you turn on the high beams...

If you do the original fog light mod (in the how-to's on the main site) so you can run the fogs with your parking lights, the fogs will no longer turn off when you turn on the high beams...

I believe he is saying the foglight mod minus the foglights plus the highbeams. I guess you would call it the highbeam mod. You know, be able to turn the highs on with the parking lights without the lows.

I believe he is saying the foglight mod minus the foglights plus the highbeams. I guess you would call it the highbeam mod. You know, be able to turn the highs on with the parking lights without the lows.

No and yes. Basically, its breaks down to, parking lights w/ fog lights AND high beams

Also, help me out with the DRL's thing. Is it like, having some sort of relay in between the wiring somewhere with the brights, which in turn, reduces the output of the brights, to like, lower than the low beams? I'm kinda lost and looked it up a bit. I've had a few idea's run around my head and this is what Im thinking.

Also, help me out with the DRL's thing. Is it like, having some sort of relay in between the wiring somewhere with the brights, which in turn, reduces the output of the brights, to like, lower than the low beams? I'm kinda lost and looked it up a bit. I've had a few idea's run around my head and this is what Im thinking.

That's the right idea basically. There is a slot in the power distribution box under the hood for a DRL relay. There isn't actually any wire in there if the car didn't come equipped with DRL's. My Chilton manual has a wiring diagram with DRL's. I'll check it out after work today and see if I can give you any suggestions.

No and yes. Basically, its breaks down to, parking lights w/ fog lights AND high beams

So you want to run the parking lights, fog lights, high beams and no low beams?

Or do you mean that you want to be able to basically run everything?

As wired out of the box, you can only run the fogs with the low beams/parking lights on.

With the "fog light mod" you can run the fogs with the parking lights, the fogs with the low beams AND the fogs with the high/low beams.

Keep in mind the way it is wired, when you flip on your brights, the low beams will stay on.

I'm not sure if I cleared that up or just made no sense at all.. :D

My buddy at work has a GL that we're sure came from Canada (even though it doesn't have km/h, but mph), and it has DRL's that are stock. If I see him I can try to get a look at his wiring, but I don't see him very often anymore :shrug:

Well, this is something to work off of. Just include the fogs with it. The position of the light switch is on the parking lights. Also included is the fog light mod, which is having the switch pulled out. Then, somehow re-wiring the harness or whatever, and which wire it is, to "fool" the harness into thinking the low beams are on, just like with the fog mod, and have the brights on

svt8.jpg

Back