• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

how to intake gasket on a zetec????

Detailed

1 BIG CAT
Can anybody point me i the direction of a how to replace the intake gasket on a 96 zetec. i have every bolt out except the bottom one closest to the alternator.

its not bad. if you search for "alternator bracket" in posts by me you should find a post where i did a write up of how to remove the Zetec alternator. from there you can reach down with a 13 and 15mm deep well sockets and ratchet to remove the 4 bolts that hold the alternator bracket on. the bracket will then come up and out with the serp. belt tensioner still attached.

ok so i have replaced the tps, the intake gasket, valve cover gasket, alternator, the tensioner pully , HOW DO I GET THE SERP BELT BACK ON/What tools?????

go from the bottom, you will need a 13mm wrench, and probably another wrench to use as a cheater so you can get enough leverage.

As he said, 13mm wrench for the tensioner. Take off the splash guard (2 10mm bolts I think?) in the wheel well to be able to go from the bottom. I believe the PROPER way to install the belt is from the top, putting it on the WP pulley last. However, if you're doing it yourself, it's best to drop the serpentine belt from the top, get it on everything except the crank pulley, pull the tensioner and quick slip it on. It will probably be barely hanging onto the WP pulley so make sure it's all the way on that...

Yea man removing the alternator really isn't a big deal at all. I did it a half dozen times one weekend when all of the aftermarket rebuilt units i could track down locally were no good right out of the box. On late 99s and up you will have to remove the fuel line where it connects to the rail to actually pull the alternator out. Earlier ones with the return fuel system I don't think this is necessary because of the shape of the fuel rail. By the time I got a good alternator I had the job down to about 15 minutes. Why are you replacing the gasket? Vacuum leak? If it's a vacuum leak you're after, check the elbow of the PCV hose on the very back (closest to the firewall) of the manifold. I'd put money on it being cracked.

Back