• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How To: Fix rear door squeak

TheMexicanJob

Banned?
We all know about about the contour's rear door squeak. most use PB Blaster, WD-40, or white lithium grease. These may fix it for a little while but it will return.

Here's how i attack the problem, and i've never had a squeak return.

Sand the metal bar that connects the door frame to the b-pillar.
Clean off the sanding dust with air or a dry rag.
Then use a Q-Tip and put a good amount of vasaline on the metal bar and open/close the door to work it in, then add more til the squeak goes away.
That should take care of the squeak, i did this with my first tour and after a year and a half it was still squeak free.

why does it not suprize me you use vaseline to "fix" your rear door

j/k this does work well

Last edited:
just about all tours suffer from this

Ugg, I hate it when I have to open my rear doors in a public place
doh.gif

Oddly enough my stique never developed this problem, and sadly my SVT does.

My mystique's back doors are loud as hell, but the left is far worse than the right(i think, maybe the other way, but you get the point)

I def need to do this fix! Thanks for the info

this was covered, the fix was plumbers grease. any type of heavy grease will be good. the ES lube would be great as well.

My brothers SVT has this extremely bad on the drivers side. Some heavy duty grease didnt help the problem at all.

Thankfully neither my SVT or the SE had it.

I used PB Blaster, and it went away. It was quite annoying having that deathly sound every time you open the door.

WD40 works for a bit. I bought some poly lithium grease, and just lobbed it on the bar, and kept opening and closing the door to get it in there real good. No problems since. I add grease every 6 months or so.

WD40 works for a bit. I bought some poly lithium grease, and just lobbed it on the bar, and kept opening and closing the door to get it in there real good. No problems since. I add grease every 6 months or so.

I like this a whole thread about lubing up your back doors real good! :)

And to add to the innuendo, I clean off the area and throughly massaged some silicone lubricant on it the other day, but I will have to try this way out as it feels like it might come back. :nonono: :laugh:

Back