• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to clean engine after 3.0 swap

vtraudt

CEG'er
We ported the intake of the 3.0 (from 2001 Sable), and modified the block as needed (brackets, installed 2.5 oil pan and modified pickup tube to fit 3.0 mounting points, shortened the stick out shaft on the transmission side; installed the 2.5 flex plate and timing cover, installed 2.5 LIM and UIM, etc.)

With all the work done with the engine open, it is inevitable that 'stuff' got in the engine (oil and coolant channels).

To avoid messing up the new engine (logically, we put fresh oil, filter and fresh coolant in), what is the recommended 'flushing' procedure?

Should I crank and run a very short time (5 minutes), then drain the fluid?
Could I ran the oil through a filter (what works? Coffee filter seems to be too fine. Clean cloth?) and reuse (since it is obviously not 'burnt'/used at this point)? Just trying to save $15 for all new oil and throwing the fresh oil out).

Or will whatever particles got into the engine be quickly caught by the oil filter?

they're ways to do all of these items cleanly, requiring no flushing, i suppose you need to think about what was contaminated with metal shavings and approach the situation then. didn't you use rags and wheel grease when you ported? and rotate it upside down to remove, and shop vac it? The filter will stop alot down to 15 microns or so, but the small aluminum shavings are the worst!

Usually we are pretty careful about keeping the engines clean but we run them for about 500 miles and then change the oil to new stuff. We use cheap oil for the 500 miles.

Chris

cant imagine how "stuff" got into the engine if you were careful...

also... don't "try to save $15" when swapping an engine. that's ludicrous!

if you're worried, dump the $15! if you did everything correctly.... DONT WORRY!

:)

Back