• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How far have you driven on E?

If you have 3.5 gallons in the tank and the car is on E you're not going to have issues. My $.02.

well let see once I hit my fuel light I may get another 10 or so miles in the city if I drive it normal.........lol......but remember i average 14 miles or less to the gallon and if I am stomping on the gas I get under 10 miles to gallon. So I never let mine get close to dry since one lean acceleration can boom in my car.......ouch

The CDW pump DOES USE the fuel to cool itself. Besides that, running THAT low on fuel is also going to help clog your sock filter, etc.

Just fill up earlier, folks. You're GONNA spend it all on gas ANYWAY, you may as well do it in two seperate 1/2 tank fills than in one full tank.. same price, and peace of mind.. what's not to love?

thanks DAD :) haha, obviously thats the best root, but come on, live on the edge...am i gonna make it, will my fuel pump last...ah the joys of driving, haha

the few times that I have had to go on quite some time with the gas light on, was on a road trip and there wasn't a gas station for about 70 or so miles, turns out it wasn't right off the freeway as well, and ended up to be like 80+ miles. I have found a difference between cars tho. My first tour would be good for 40 tops, the one I have now is good for 60-90 depending on driving. who knows. But I have found that the gas light seems to come on around 11 gallons or so

I just ran out of gas on Tuesday. Had somebody elses deadline handed to me at the last minute, so I risked the low fuel to get to my destination. After I made the deadline, I ran out of gas on the way to the gas station. I passed one station up because I thought their price was 4 cents per gallon too high. :crazy:

Lesson: When driving my Mystique, once the little needle hits E, that's it. Car no go. No reserve, no 20 miles, no needle sneaking below the E. Just plain outa gas.

When the light is on, I can go 50 or 60 miles before the needle is on E.

Last edited:
I too have gone about 50 miles with the fuel light on.

My driveway faces uphill about probably 25-30 degrees, so I can really tell when I'm almost on empty because it will sputter when I start it up.

You know that its illegal to do drugs and drive correct?
Driving on E, is something that shouldn't be talked about on a car forum.
:laugh:

I remember we were in my friends Oldsmobile and we felt the car start to stutter so he put it in Neutral and we rounded a bend and saw a gas station.. SOMEHOW.. we rolled up next to the pump and the car stalled, only to find out the pump was "Out of Order" :mad: :laugh:

my new truck is the only vehicle i ever had with a gas light and i still don't let it go below a quarter of a tank the contour i never let it go below a half

(witch reminds me my contour has a full tank of gas and its setting in my front yard broken down i wish i could get that gas out for my truck)

Once I forgot to get gas on my way home from work, and the light was on. Then the next morning I stopped to get gas, but was late and thought that the price at the place I stopped was high. I just put three gallons in. Then about 15 miles later the gas light came on again. That was irritating. Mine goes about 50 miles after the light comes on. After that I get too worried about stalling.

That is great if you feel it necessary to fill at 1/2 or 1/4 tank. But, for me that is just too time consuming. I have to fill up every four days and I do not want to do it every other day. I go 300 miles then fill up.

Low fuel light?

HAHA

I don't even have one. What was ford thinking? Always wanted to get it a low as possible to see how many miles on a tank, but am afraid since I have no light.

my styque likes to ride the E for quite a ways, though it should as you can almost watch the needle fall once it gets into the last quarter of the tank.

one time in my old car i drove it for 2 days on E. but it had the thing that tells you MPG and DTE and it said 0 and when i pulled into the gas staion it spudderd and chugged to the pump lol

I ran out of gas once. I knew it was low made it to my girls. Got up the next day turned over, waited a minute, and it died right as I moved 2 inches in reverse. We hopped in my girls car and bought a gallon. Don't remeber how much I put in the tank once I got to the gas station. It was a lazy Saturday, could not have happened at a better time.

In one of my old cars, I knew I was low, but I made it to the gas station for a fill up. As I pulled out of the gas station, it died. Had no idead why. After cycling the key a few times and holding the pedal to the floor, I realized I had run out of gas in the fuel lines and the new tank hadn't pushed the air out.

-Andy

Last edited:
Low fuel light?

HAHA

I don't even have one. What was ford thinking? Always wanted to get it a low as possible to see how many miles on a tank, but am afraid since I have no light.
If you want to know how many miles you can get to a tank just figure out what your mileage is and multply it by the tank capacity and you'll get how many miles you could have gone if you ran the tank dry. Obviously this doesn't take into account the car getting lighter because of fuel consumption but it's close enough for government work. I wouldn't risk burning up a fuel pump just to determine something that can be fairly accurately figured out by math.
Karl

i usually fill up whenever the light comes on. I dont think ive ever tried to drive more than ~10 miles with it on, but this thread definitely makes me wanna try!

I've had times when I'd drive home at night, and the light would come on. I would have to drive to work the next morning at 6am and would always forget that the light was on, and i wouldn't have time to stop for gas. Most i've ever filled up was about 12.5 gallons i think.

btw, that seinfeld episode was GREAT. Just keep going, we can't stop now!!

I was almost going to make a thread asking the same question, but to ask the post 98 owners how far they've driven with the fuel light on.

I've driven like 12 miles when the light went on. I think I did that too much when I first got the car....I had to replace the fuel pump.:crazy: :help:

Back