• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID price range

SVT3Rivieres

CEG'er
how much should i expect to pay for HID KIT ? what is the price range to consider being cheap(not worth it), good decent reasonable or really good and more expensive ?

maybe a exemple or best of for each categorie will be appreciable, im in asia right now for a few month and they seem to have really good price around here and im seeking for some advice to see if it worth it to get it from here before coming back

thx

You get what you pay for. The ballasts and bulbs you buy over here in asia (im in shanghai atm) are knockoffs based off of OEM style ballasts. They will serve their purpose, but lifetime is often suspect.

Goonz had a pretty decent D2R rebased kit using Hella or phillips balasts, you should shoot him a PM he can point you in the right direction for Rebase kits.

im in singapore right now, so they are not really into copy here (maybe compare to china) and people are really into esthetic here (since they are not allowed to modify the engine)

anyway i will ask advice from goonz first and i will see if i can get the same brand over here for cheaper. if not i will wait spring went i come back to get it

but just as a reference, from which price should i start being suspect about the quality ??

http://xenondepot.com/

Quality OEM equipment, Philips bulbs and balats and a very nice wiring harness which is key and simplifies the install. This is what I have and love it. Not cheap but nothing of good quality usually is. I have since bought a pair of Philips 5000k "color match" bulbs but am still using the same kit. You will be looking at about $400 + tax and shipping for a 4300k kit (standard OEM spec's). I would not recomend getting anything higher than the 6000k kit from these guys though as their 6500k kit is not Philips products, they are knockoffs.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't know of any other companies b/c I didnt bother. I knew Xenondepot had quality goods and thats what I wanted. Im sure you can find some JoeBlow brand but you only get what you pay for. Especially the case w/ HID components.

www.xenondepot.com is the way to go because you are getting quality. They will supply you with proper wiring harness along with the essentials to ensure a correct installation with no danger of drawing uneven power. I think the prices from xenondepot have sorta dropped, you can go by their ebay auctions as well (thats what I did 2 years ago with the Gen III balasts)

Xenon Depot Kit on Ebay

also another person thats been doing quite well and has good stuff is THIS guy from ebay..He has Denso which comes OEM in Toyotas/Lexus'. However his kit does NOT come with a wiring harness but a few CEG'rs have his kit and seem to have no problem, plus you get to pick if you want D2R or D2S (Philips brand as well!!) Here are his kits you may consider..

Denso Kit 1

his newest kit, linked below, as you may see is a littler pricier and its because he has the newer Denso model which support the new Philips environment friendly XenEco bulbs (they are 100% mercury free). IMO stick with the Denso Kit 1..

Denso Kit 2

If you need more info, dont hesitate to PM me..Many people PM me regarding HID's and I never scare them away :)

A HID conversion kit is a HID conversion kit. If you are not looking for something spectacular and just need them to turn on, then you can expect to pay as low as $200 bucks.

I just bought a kit off of ebay for $160, everything wired up just fine and I've had absolutely zero problems. Don't let CEG's HID nazi's scare you off.

The quest to enlighten others, and drag them away from poor choices makes HID guru's Nazi's now huh?

Don't let CEG's HID nazi's scare you off.

HID Nazi's?? pardon me Rawburt for trying to enlighten people regarding HID so that they dont make poor choices that they later regret. He has already PM'd me for more info and I have kindly given him sources and pointers to follow regarding HIDs. So please, stfu :nonono:

HID Nazi's?? pardon me Rawburt for trying to enlighten people regarding HID so that they dont make poor choices that they later regret. He has already PM'd me for more info and I have kindly given him sources and pointers to follow regarding HIDs. So please, stfu :nonono:
Just because it isn't a Phillips ballast, etc doesn't mean it isn't a good kit.;)

Like I have said I have bought 3 kits from plasmagarage.com and NEVER had a problem. Best kit I have seen.

Goonz as much as you don't like it you are a HID/projector nazi.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now follow your destiny.:crazy:

A HID conversion kit is a HID conversion kit. If you are not looking for something spectacular and just need them to turn on, then you can expect to pay as low as $200 bucks.

Yup, as long as they turn on, you have fogged up headlights, no aim, and blue bulbs, you are golden. :cool: wo0t!!1!

Goonz as much as you don't like it you are a HID/projector nazi.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now follow your destiny.:crazy:

haha well not as far as NAZI but yea i do get fired up about HIDs :p. Not so much projectors unless they refuse to take pre-cautions when HID'ing a stock reflectors and blinding everyone :bah:..

Yup, as long as they turn on, you have fogged up headlights, no aim, and blue bulbs, you are golden. :cool: wo0t!!1!

Game, set, match buaha

Just because it isn't a Phillips ballast, etc doesn't mean it isn't a good kit.;)

The longevity and overall quality of the off balasts can be alot less then a premium brand, but will often serve their purpose.

The real judgment of what a 'good' kit is, is in the wiring. The proper harness is necessary not only for proper operation but for saftey too. I couldnt believe the wiring schematic on the former car of a MOD that wrote the hid "f.a.q" I was sure he would have done more research then he did!

i was looking those link and i have a question, all those kit are just for either low beam or high beam ?? theyre not provinding 4 bulb right ?? so basicly if i turn my high beam i will still be on my regular silverstar ?

You've gotta think that one through.

HID's are a gas that is ignited, it takes awhile for the gas to reach full power and thats why you get the warm up.

It would not be wise to use them as a high beam because they would not have instant on capability which is necessary for flashing, and they wont be readily availble when you're traveling 60mph on that backroad....

So in summary, no they are not providing 4 bulbs, and you will be retaining whatever highbeam you have stock.

haha well not as far as NAZI but yea i do get fired up about HIDs :p. Not so much projectors unless they refuse to take pre-cautions when HID'ing a stock reflectors and blinding everyone :bah:..
If you have them aimed right you won't get flashed. I had HIDs and made sure they were aimed correctly to avoid blinding people. The light pattern isn't as good as HIDs with projectors though.:blackeye:

Back