• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID lowbeam headlight went out

millertime86

CEG'er
one of my headlights is out. I dont know anything about HIDs or what makes them different from regular lights.

-do i just need a new bulb?
-where can i go to get the bulb, does autozone or advanced auto have them?
-i looked at the sticky and it looks like its around 8000k-12000k but i dont know the exact temp. do i need to know the temperature/color?

thanks in advance for the help

check the fuse. very rarely do HIDs actually have bulb issues (since there is no filament).

i looked at the fuse, everything looks connected, other than that i dont really know what im looking for.

also, you know when the light is on, you can hear a quiet buzzing noise? well i can hear it on both headlights, the working one and the non-working one. dont know if that helps or means anything.

it could be the ballast itself or the wiring to the bulb. i still doubt its the bulb but it could be.

you might try switching the bulbs and see if it really is the bulb.

But you're sure its actually an HID?

i had a friend (an electriction) look at it. he was messing around with it and got it to work and stay on, but when you turn the lights off and on, it doesnt come back on. he said its either the ballast or the bulb. Tomarrow im going to try putting that ballast on the good-working side and see if it works, if not, then ill know its the ballast. if it does work, then its the bulb.

i dont know what to do. i think its the ballast. are most ballasts interchangable? i have no clue what brand or temperature my lights are... am i screwed??

If you have a no-name kit, it's probably cheaper and easier to buy a new kit (someone on here has them for like $125 for a full kit). Especially if you don't know what color temperature you have. There's no way to tell just by looking at it.

Back