• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

hid installation

8000RPM

CEG'er
guys, i am in the process of installing hid for my low beams, 98csvt.
i installed everything, but they dont work. they should be brand new.
the bulb is in the headlight hausing, two cables go out and enter into the ballast. then from the ballast another cable comes out and connects to the car's original cable plug for the head light. this is it, right?

why doesnt it work?
in the instructions it says that if the car is equiped with relay, i should changes the fuses with 20amp, now they are 10amp (stock). should i change these? they have not burned... the headlights were working fine 1 hour ago. please help asap as i dont have lights and cant go to work tomorrow. thanks

hmmm well the fuse part i wouldn't change, i would use it as a in-line with the stock stuff. because from what i read from it all, is it takes the stock wiring power output and it got into a connector which in turn takes it to the ballast, which is what ignites the bulb. not sure why your really having any kind of issue. Because you only have two wires really or two harnesses.

undo stock bulb, connector hid harness, which goes into the ballast, which then in turn goes to the bulb. you have to ground each harness like it shows below because each one needs a ground.
if you don't have them wired like this i would give it a try.Honestly i don't see you needing a relay since the stock one should be enough, but i would use a in-line fuse for sure. I always did on my foglights on my past rides to just be safe.

did you get instructions that kinda look like this and give you some kinda idea how to wire them up correctly?
instructions.jpg

Last edited:
well i got them to work late last night. i was working on it until 1:30am or so. the damn kit was messed up. first of all the wires going into the plug that connects to the car's harness (for power) were installed backwards, so the positive was contacting the negative, and the negative the positive wire....it took me a while to figure that out. so i had to install the plug backwards. and then the driverside light will come on for a second and will go out. turned out another wire came off of the plug, and wasnt making a good connection, so i had to lock it in again. now it all works good though.

however the harness is not like you have showed on the pic above. the harness powering the ballast is not grounded separately. instead this is the one that plugs to the original hanress of the vehicle. i guess that's how it grounds, since one of these wires is the ( - ), and the system uses the stock fuses and relays. there's no extra inline fuse anywhere. wonder if that's a good idea...

in the manual there is just a pic similar to the one above, however it says that if the car has a relay, the fuses have to be changed with 20amp. i am currectly with my 10amp fuses for pass and driver side low beams, and they work fine, so i am not planning on changing them.

Thanks for the suggestions Project SVT!

Back