• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID Group Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymicz

New CEG'er
I just thought I would share this with my contour brothers, it's an ongoing group buy for HID conversion kits from the GP boards I frequent since I have a GTP (still got the contour ;-), just can't bring myself to sell it) These kits are awesome quality and come with a complete plug and play relay harness. With the coupon code it brings the kit to $130 with free next day air shipping. You get 2 bulbs, choice of color and size, 2 ballasts, a relay harness and some zip ties. The relay harness allows you to use the stock headlight switch while powering the lights directly off the battery. The have a ton of different sizes, hope you guys enjoy.

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/product.sc?productId=33&categoryId=6

Coupon Code is: ClubGP

This has been going on for awhile and will probably continue indefinately.

FWIW If you want bright light, 4300K is your color, if you want bright blue light 6000k is your color. Anything over 6k is almost useless IMHO cause your sacrificing light output for color.

Last edited:
Looks like all the bulbs are D2S. But anyone with a reflector style head light housing should be using D2R bulbs.

shielded vs. non-shielded bulbs

Now he understands.. Anyway, here is a better anwser.

What is the difference between D2R and D2S?

The main difference is the U-shaped masking on the D2R that blocks out unpredictable light in certain directions. Also, the base has different notches. Name of base is P32-d2 for D2S and P32-d3 for D2R. D2R was developed so that Mercedes could still use their reflector based headlights in the mid 1990s. They did not want use projectors like BMW. A glare box inside the headlight could have been used to accomplish a straight line, but a mask painted on the bulb was cheaper to make and had better precision. Other (near) luxury cars (Lexus, Infinity and Acura) followed Mercedes and equipped their cars with D2R bulbs in reflector based headlamps. Using a D2R in anything else than a OEM HID headlight designed for the D2R bulb makes no sense. It will only reduce output. Some HID kits comes with D2R bulbs. Some amateur kit designers will even claim that D2R genrally reduces glare in a retrofit. This is nonsense. The D2R bulb masking is around 3-4 a'clock and 8-9 o'clock when bulb is in right position. Those are not the (only) sectors that creates glare.
As an example, here is the data on Philips 2 versions:
D2S: 3200lm, 4250K, 91lm/W, 35W
D2R: 2800lm, 4150K, 80lm/W, 35W
PhilipsD2R.gif
PhilipsD2S.jpg

Above from left, D2R and D2S. Note that Philips does not make blue painted HID bulbs. The appearant blue color is just background.

I know, but many threads get ruined from arguments over D2S/D2R and why/why not someone should get them. Seems fine though, no arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back