• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HID bulb differences

Y2KSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a question about the difference in HID bulbs. I've read that the D2R is for reflector based headlights, and D2S is for projector based headlights. How do you know if the D2R bulb will fit into a 9006 base? Or, am I looking at this the wrong way? I'm looking at picking up a kit for my 'LS, but don't want to order the wrong one.

Mark

don't you just need to buy ones that are based to fit the vehicle you want to use it in?

like I recall many here talking about rebased D2R bulbs that fit our cars.

also wouldn't a kit made for a particular car or bulb stlye (9006 or 9005 etc) come with the right ones?

Last edited:
These are good questions, Brian. Actually, these are the same questions I'm trying to figure out. I went to VVME.com, and they offer a 9006 kit, and they also offer a D2R kit for $15 extra. Will this D2R kit work with a 9006 opening? Do I need a 9006 kit with D2R bulbs? If that's the case, how do you indicate that with the order?

To me, D2R is only the style of the bulb itself, and has nothing to do with the socket that you plug into your headlight housing. Otherwise, it would be universal for 9005, 9006, etc.

Mark

I went to VVME.com, and they offer a 9006 kit, and they also offer a D2R kit for $15 extra. Mark

well the way I read what you typed is the kit is designed for a headlight that needs a 9006 bulb and that you have to pay $15 more to get the D2R bulb for the 9006 kit.

I just looked at the website and see why you are confused. you can't specify 9006 and the D2R bulbs at the same time ....

also aren't vvme kits the ones that plug into the original low beam socket to use as a signal to turn the hids on? if so the kit would need to match the headlight in that respect also.

and :shocked: at the price. wonder how long they will last :ponder:

Last edited:
also aren't vvme kits the ones that plug into the original low beam socket to use as a signal to turn the hids on? if so the kit would need to match the headlight in that respect also.

You lost me on this part....

BrApple said:
and :shocked: at the price. wonder how long they will last :ponder:

On one of the other recent HID posts, there were some people saying they had some pretty good experiences with them. For that price, it's hard not to at least give them a shot...

Mark

I bought my kit from VVME last year. They seem to be doing fine and just keep dropping the price. Just go with the standard 9006 kit(non-d2R), im runnning 4300K now. I was running 6000k but they look like complete s*** in rain or snow(i sometimes questioned if they were even on at those times)

HID's run on a balast system to maintain them properly. The bulbs come with 2 connection harnesses. One, connects the stock connector to the Balast(metal box). Then there is a wire off of the box that connects to the HID bulb.

I was interested in the D2R as it gives you at least a little bit of a cut-off. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I don't want to piss everyone off that's coming at me.

Mark

You lost me on this part....

from what I have read the good hid kits come with a nice harness for install. the harness would draw poer straight from the battery for the ballasts. the original factory headlight wiring is then plugged into the harness or the ballast directly and used as a signal to the ballast to turn the hid light on.

there where some that only plugged into the stock wiring harness and iirc those often had trouble, caused problems.

These are good questions, Brian. Actually, these are the same questions I'm trying to figure out. I went to VVME.com, and they offer a 9006 kit, and they also offer a D2R kit for $15 extra. Will this D2R kit work with a 9006 opening? Do I need a 9006 kit with D2R bulbs? If that's the case, how do you indicate that with the order?

To me, D2R is only the style of the bulb itself, and has nothing to do with the socket that you plug into your headlight housing. Otherwise, it would be universal for 9005, 9006, etc.

Mark

It's confusing when you look at it on the sites, but I'll break it down.

D2R and D2S is both a bulb type, and socket type. If you choose D2R, you'll be getting a straight D2R bulb designed for a factory HID headlight config, like my IS300 had. Same goes for a D2S. They will not fit any other socket type besides D2R/D2S.

If you buy a 9006 bulb, it's a rebased HID bulb made to fit a 9006 socket, but the bulb itself can be D2R or D2S. Most sites don't specify when you buy them, and I think typically ship a D2S.

The bulb that I'm running on my SVT is a unique setup that very few online stores sell. It's an original Phillips D2R that's rebased for 9006, but without those aftermarket wires most kits have running off of them. Looking at the back of my headlight with the bulb installed, you would think it's a factory setup. No external wires leading off, just the wire coming directly off the ballast.

Most aftermarket bulbs:
9007_Bi-Xenon_HID_bulb.jpg

D2R/D2S:
k1959860731lhi.jpg

Very nice, Tony! Thank you for your explanation. I was partially correct in my thinking, that the D2R and D2S is the bulb type, but I didn't realize that it was a socket type, as well. I should have assumed that, since you couldn't just have a universal socket that fits all headlights. :crazy: Maybe I'll contact them to see if they can accomodate a D2R bulb on a 9006 base. Thanks, again!

Mark

its not "better". If you want to think technically, its worse because the reflectors low light output. but! (see below)

d2s is designed but projector housings

d2r is designed for reflector housings
- But, from what ive heard, these reflector housing are designed specifically for HID lights

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94774

Yeah, that's correct. The D2R will make little to no difference in a non-HID headlight assembly. They only work together with a HID designed headlight.

At the time, I didn't know and went with D2R but I think both will show the same results. The most important part after installing is aiming the headlights. You cannot use the factory halogen bulb aim for HIDs. The light output is too strong and at normal height will blind other drivers. They need to be turned down more.

Yeah, from what I've heard/read, DDM has awesome prices and great customer service. I'll probably be ordering a replacement M5 bumper from them since I cracked my original last month.

Yeah $40 w/lifetime warranty is a great price for their HID's. They're supposed to be dropping the price to $35 by the end of the month, but I don't know if I can wait that long :laugh:

Yeah $40 w/lifetime warranty is a great price for their HID's. They're supposed to be dropping the price to $35 by the end of the month, but I don't know if I can wait that long :laugh:

You and me both. I just ordered the Raptors! :laugh:

Mark

If you're looking to buy some HID's i would also check out these guys http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

They're on the Bimmerforums. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=286
I was probably gonna call them as well to ask the same questions u were asking. I currently have a rebased d2r setup.

Anyone know how the customer service is? The lifetime warranty is sweet, but I'm wondering how well they treat you after you've already sent money and it's a year later.

Go over to bimmerforum.com and check out the DDM threads. I think the guy's name is John if I remember correctly. He stays very involved and gives a lot of updates on the company. Sounds like a good guy to work with, which is why I gave them a shot. According to him, the $39.95 kit that I just bought will get as low as $17 when they start producing them in the states. Pretty crazy!

Mark

Back