• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help with connecting rod...

Status
Not open for further replies.
firstly, I didnt out right say you where wrong, just that the term used for these rods is sintered. and obviousley thinkmoto was only asking a question; thats why he came back and posted, in essence, that you are a retard for using the term "forged" interchangeably with "sintered" just because there are compression phases in the sintering process.

just face it, when people hear the term "forged" they think of a solid piece of an alloy, heated to a plastic state, then squeezed into a mold, if you'd like to continue playing semantics, thats just fine, but I think most people reading this know exactly what I mean.

Let's just simplify this and at least sort of get back on topic. The term for these rods is NOT sintered, it is sinter-forged. Part of the process is sintering, and part of the process is forging, hence the term. Sintered only parts are far, far weaker, and are used for other things in the engine, like valve guides, and valve seats where there is minimal tensile loading. A true sintered only connecting rod would probably break within the first few engine rotations. Just because you don't understand the difference, doesn't mean there isn't one. What you're saying is the equivalent of saying an Austenitic steel isn't really steel because it isn't magnetic. You're the one playing the semantics game here, becuase you can't distinguish the differences between plain sintering, sinter-forging, and plain forging. The bottom line is that regardless of how the pre-forged blank came into being, the Duratec connecting rods still go through a forging operation during thier manufacture. Just because most people like you can't get thier head around the fact that you can forge things other than a blank bar of steel or aluminum doesn't mean there aren't other ways to do it; you go on so much about how smart you are and like to think out of the box, and yet you still can't grasp this? You're still wrong, and none of your semantics games about what people that aren't familiar with the process call it will change that fact.

The poster received opinions on his problem. I think this thread has run it's course!

-Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back