• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hello Cobalt SS Turbo

A buddy of mine had the older C:SS/SC. It was a beast. He had Stage 2 components though so his was really impressive.

Oddly enough, he traded it in for a new gen SRT4. lol

looks great...I'm surprised no intake kit...any specific reason?

It's still in the box, and I haven't installed it yet because my SS only has 478 km's on the clock. :)
I have a whole heap of parts to install, and I'm getting around to installing them bit by bit now that the warmer weather is upon us. :D

A buddy of mine had the older C:SS/SC. It was a beast. He had Stage 2 components though so his was really impressive.

Oddly enough, he traded it in for a new gen SRT4. lol

I like my Neon based SRT4. Despite the Caliber having a lot more goodies than the first SRT4, it looks too much like a SUV to be a transitional vehicle from the first SRT4. Because of this, I bought the Cobalt SS sedan instead, as it still looks like a car. ;)

I like my Neon based SRT4. Despite the Caliber having a lot more goodies than the first SRT4, it looks too much like a SUV to be a transitional vehicle from the first SRT4.

The Neon is the much better car as well. The SRT Caliber is sloppy and over-powered.

Looks much better with the added aesthetic mods. I wasn't too crazy about it in the beginning especially the 4-door model. But the rear bumper, wing, CF pillar, etc. made a huge difference. Those headlights are screaming for a proper projector retrofit. You could fit some really nice/high performing OEM projectors in there.

After retro-ing my SVT with OEM projectors I will never go back.

Looks much better with the added aesthetic mods. I wasn't too crazy about it in the beginning especially the 4-door model. But the rear bumper, wing, CF pillar, etc. made a huge difference. Those headlights are screaming for a proper projector retrofit. You could fit some really nice/high performing OEM projectors in there.

After retro-ing my SVT with OEM projectors I will never go back.

Thanks for the positive comments. I purchased HIDs for both high and low beams, will install those at a later date. I have a lot more mods to install, a few more to purchase, depending on $$$$$$ and budget. ;)

Thanks for the positive comments. I purchased HIDs for both high and low beams, will install those at a later date. I have a lot more mods to install, a few more to purchase, depending on $$$$$$ and budget. ;)

Those are aftermarket headlights though right? So the projector will be aftermarket also. Aftermarket projectors usually aren't all that great...even with HID's. What I meant was replacing the projector unit itself with high-end projectors. I believe TL's would fit in there. Then you would have bi-xenon's. I have bi-xenons in my retro-fit and they are so awesome! Also HID's in separate high-beam locations is not a good idea due to the length of time it will take to warm up. meaning you won't have the bright light when you need it. Also the constant on/off is no good for the ballast. Which is another good reason to go bi-xenon projector.

Retrofitting is a lot of work...especially the first pair you do but since you already have projectors in there you basically just swap them out. May require a bit of custom fabbing but it is considerably less work than retro-fitting a reflector based lamp like I did on the SVT.

Keep up the good work. She's coming along nicely.

Those are aftermarket headlights though right? So the projector will be aftermarket also. Aftermarket projectors usually aren't all that great...even with HID's. What I meant was replacing the projector unit itself with high-end projectors. I believe TL's would fit in there. Then you would have bi-xenon's. I have bi-xenons in my retro-fit and they are so awesome! Also HID's in separate high-beam locations is not a good idea due to the length of time it will take to warm up. meaning you won't have the bright light when you need it. Also the constant on/off is no good for the ballast. Which is another good reason to go bi-xenon projector.

Retrofitting is a lot of work...especially the first pair you do but since you already have projectors in there you basically just swap them out. May require a bit of custom fabbing but it is considerably less work than retro-fitting a reflector based lamp like I did on the SVT.

Keep up the good work. She's coming along nicely.

Thanks for the explanation Justin. The lights are aftermarket so I guess aftermarket projectors could be a possibility. What sort of costs would be involved to putting in a good set of projectors?

Thanks for your comments too.

well...the cost of the projectors obviously. Then you would likely need AMP to D2S connectors since your aftermarket ballasts likely have AMP connectors. You would then need to buy D2S bulbs for the OEM projectors. Also maybe a shroud to cover the projector to give it an OEM look. The rest is basically the cost of your time in putting it together. You would need to bake open the lamps and then see how the current aftermarket projectors are attached. You may get lucky and be able to use the same mounting/aiming. If not it will take some custom fabrication. If you are really considering it, I would look into HIDplanet. I have seen a lot of Cobalts on there with retrofits. You can gain a lot of knowledge there on what others have done and what projectors they have used.

Projectors - TL's are around $200 (get the older TL as they have the better bowl) , FX around $175
AMP to D2S connector - $15
bulbs - $50
OEM shrouds - $50
Time to do it - $?

well...the cost of the projectors obviously. Then you would likely need AMP to D2S connectors since your aftermarket ballasts likely have AMP connectors. You would then need to buy D2S bulbs for the OEM projectors. Also maybe a shroud to cover the projector to give it an OEM look. The rest is basically the cost of your time in putting it together. You would need to bake open the lamps and then see how the current aftermarket projectors are attached. You may get lucky and be able to use the same mounting/aiming. If not it will take some custom fabrication. If you are really considering it, I would look into HIDplanet. I have seen a lot of Cobalts on there with retrofits. You can gain a lot of knowledge there on what others have done and what projectors they have used.

Projectors - TL's are around $200 (get the older TL as they have the better bowl) , FX around $175
AMP to D2S connector - $15
bulbs - $50
OEM shrouds - $50
Time to do it - $?

Thanks for the info. :)

No prob. Good luck on the project if you do decide on doing it. It is so worth it and very self gratifying once they are finished. I absolutely love my quad setup.

so have you seen anyone put the coupe trunk/taillights/bumper on the sedan? I've searched cobaltss.net/google for hours looking for something. Seems like the taillights and bumper would fit, but i can't tell if the trunk is the limiting factor.

so have you seen anyone put the coupe trunk/taillights/bumper on the sedan? I've searched cobaltss.net/google for hours looking for something. Seems like the taillights and bumper would fit, but i can't tell if the trunk is the limiting factor.

The trunks and rear quarter panels to trunk, are different from coupe to sedan, so it's not possible without major body and structure modifications. I would really like to do the coupe trunk on the sedan, but, money to fund the mod becomes the major factor.

ssscsedan.jpg

Last edited:
Back