• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Heat shield seal material

hoodwanka

CEG'er
Okay so I've got a pudmunkie heat shield I picked up on the classifieds about a year ago, and I have not insulated the top of the shield yet. I went by a home depot a couple months back with the intent get some pipe insulation, since that seemed like consensus for the material from the original pud group buy. The only kind they had didn't look very flexible and I didn't think I'd be able to reliably attach it to the heat shield. I also checked weatherstripping at Advanced Auto but they only had a really narrow kind that definitely wouldn't have worked. So what I would like some advice on is what material you used and how you got it attached to the heat shield. It would also be great if you could give me specifics like brand names and name of the product. As always thanks for the help!

I have the very thin weatherstripping type. That's all you'll need. They are designed to seal almost perfectly with the hood. I've tested this by placing my outside air temp sensor into the heatshield and driving it around for a few days. During driving, it's only about 2 degrees warmer than the actual outside air. While stopped, it starts to absorb the engine heat, but quickly cools once the intake starts drawing some air.

(Not mine, but the same heatshield setup I have)
DSCF3911%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Thanks, any idea where to get that? Advanced Auto only had this kind that was triangular and looked like it was made from the material of those roll out egg carton mattresses.

Honestly, I couldn't tell ya. It came with my heatsink from Pudmunkie. I'd like to eventually get a replacement since it's starting to wear out from constant contact and vibration against the hood while driving.

Or, you could do what you originally wanted? Like what I did a while ago..

WatkinsGlen009.jpg

Sorry, big picture. But THAT seals to the hood and have the marks on it to prove it. My heatshield/filter no matter the temp outside or in the engine bay, is never warmer than like luke warm (but I do have otther heatshielding on my heatshield as you can see).

BTW, it seals better on my stock metal hood than my CF one that I had on for that pic.

Or, you could do what you originally wanted? Like what I did a while ago..

Sorry, big picture. But THAT seals to the hood and have the marks on it to prove it. My heatshield/filter no matter the temp outside or in the engine bay, is never warmer than like luke warm (but I do have otther heatshielding on my heatshield as you can see).

BTW, it seals better on my stock metal hood than my CF one that I had on for that pic.

I guess that would've worked. I have trouble getting the hood to lay flush already with the pud. I've had to bend one corner down a little bit so that my hood will close. I'm worried that adding insulation that thick might make that worse. Did you get it to stay using double sided tape?

I have that same edging that came with the pud shield:

Yeah the pud I bought from the classifieds didn't have that stripping on it since it is powdercoated. I think the sell said by you actually. Do you know where I could get that type of stripping blu?

I guess that would've worked. I have trouble getting the hood to lay flush already with the pud. I've had to bend one corner down a little bit so that my hood will close. I'm worried that adding insulation that thick might make that worse. Did you get it to stay using double sided tape?

The insulation already came with an adhesive strip on both edges. With my stock hood, there are no problems with it sitting flush.. I did have a probelm with my CF hood only cause it was a lighter material.. though I dont know what's wrong with your hood though to make it sit flush.

Yeah in order to get better clearance, I tried drilling holes for the bolts so I could mount the pud shield between the MAF housing and MAF adapter. The hope was that by moving the shield further from the fender I'd get the extra clearance needed to get the hood to close completely flush with the fender. Helped a little but not significantly. However now it seems I have a little bit of a low idle because the pud shield, maf housing, maf adapter sandwich is not sealing well. I'm going to just go back to mounting the pud shield after the MAF adapter so that way my idle goes back to normal.

On a better note the McMaster Carr stuff looks perfect and that's what I've decided to get. Thanks beans!

The McMaster Carr edge grip worked awesome. I highly recommend it! Thanks again beans.

Here's what it look like all done:

DSC_0146.jpg

Back