• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlights

bregan

New CEG'er
Does anyone have any advice on restoring/repairing a yellowed headlight? I'm also considering buying HID bulbs but I don't know about installing a ballast to it.

i used turtle wax rubbing compound on mine. toothpaste works i've heard. wax remover helps and lots of coats of wax for headlights they clean up nice. as for HID kits. i run 4300K head lights (most lumens) and 3000K fog lights (yellow) works fine. looks good i have a Tred svt and it makes the car look much more angry at night. HID kits @ DDM tuning (look that up on google) for foglights there 894etc and headlights are 9006s DO NOT get brights as much as you may want to you cannot flash your high beams to pass this will destroy the bulbs.

Mine were pretty bad. I ended up using steel wool with compound. Then I wet sanded and compounded them, then a coat of wax. It took some time but they came out great. The High speed drill attachment was a life saver for me also.

I have done a few sets. I have a process that works well. Its a bit time consuming, but the results are outstanding.
I use 3M wet dry 400 800 1000 and 2000 paper with dawn dish soap and water. then I buff them with 3M rubbing compound and a wool pad followed by plastix polish and a foam pad.
100_1775.jpg

looks like this at the start
100_1770.jpg

after sanding
100_1774.jpg

after the rubbing compound
100_1776.jpg

after the plastix polish
100_1777.jpg

same process works for fog/driving lights
100_1778.jpg

VERY nice outcome. Great work!

Thanks for explaining all the steps too. In the past we have had users not explain their process. Doesn't name much sense...:rolleyes:

Back