• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

headlight film after wet sanding?

compudude86

CEG'er
I was looking online, and noticed they do make clear vinyl film "tint", like the stuff that is normally used to smoke your lights. I would think this would be a great way to seal headlights after wetsanding them, to prevent them from hazing right back over, and should be strong enough not to wear off like spray sealers. some claim to last 5-7 years until UV kills them, only having to replace every 5-7 or until road debris sand and stones beats it down seems like a good deal. any thoughts?

After wet sanding mine i put a few coats of clear coat on them, wet sanded again and then buffed them out and they still look brand new. It was a lot of work but the end result was amazing. The only thing I'd be worried about with the film is things like rocks and whatnot putting scratches in the film..kinda like screen protectors for phones. The nice thing though is that it wouldn't scratch the lens, just the film. I'd say its a toss up :shrug:

I got my car about 5 years ago and it was starting to haze, had the clear bra put over my headlights and they still look new. FYI I live in New Mexico where there is over 300+ days of sunshine and at about 5000 feet so the sun is intense and the lights look great. I would recommend it but have it done professionally.

its not a bad idea. otherwise just keep a coat of wax on the lights. even better is using something like plastx, etc. Many have also used clear coat as suggested.

Back