• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header/y-pipe coating

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
Im considering to buy the MSDS Headers/y-pipe from natilus performance in the comming weeks. What iw as wondering was if the extra $35 each for coating is worth it? Could I do it my self ? What type of caoting would i need to buy and where could i get it? The reason i ask is beacuse some local CEGers i know have saisd that the msds coating flakes alot....

but your not getting the coating that MSDS uses, you are getting the one NPG uses ...

yes yo ucould do it yourself. some have just used high temp paint but who knows if that will work long term ... I'd say for conveience get it done all at once

It does. I also sent it back to get there extreme special coatings. And that sucked also. My y pipe started to rust after the 1st year of having it on.

I can send it in to get it recoated for free. I just have to pay for shipping both ways. :blackeye: I just decided to sand it down and paint it myself. It has held up fine till now, 2 years and running.

Will any high temp paint work if a few coats are done. I am getting some msds headers next weekend and they are not coated.

Will any high temp paint work if a few coats are done. I am getting some msds headers next weekend and they are not coated.

im wondering the same thing....

x3 I want to get the MSDS while they are on sale, but you say that even their extra $$$ coating still sucks. It's $85 (40%) more to get the coated Nautilus ones. I have no problem getting them from MSDS and painting/coating them myself if I know that it will work and last.

ive got the extreme coating on mine , and ive got no flaking , only thing i seen is a little rust around the edges where the coating might have been applied too light

I did a little reading and googling, and it sounds like Dupli-color High Heat paint with ceramic (1200 degrees), or Tech Line Coatings BHK (2000 degrees) would work. Dupli-color must be baked at 300 for 2 hours after drying, and BHK says that it will cure with the normal exhaust heat.

Back