• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header question

im sure a shop could do it, specifically a performance shop might get you better quality work

so is there a way to drill a hole or weld something on for the EGR pipe?

I'm going to experiment this spring with hacking the EGR pipe off just past the thermostat housing and putting a small air filter on it. Then I can plug the stock EGR hole in the CAT or run the Cougar header without any problems.

I tried completely removing the EGR system on my '96 ATX and tricking the DPFE sensor. It didn't work. You could feel it when the computer thought it was trying to open the EGR valve and there was no air coming in. It caused surging at part throttle and cruise. Nothing major but still annoying.

If you're in no rush, I'll let you know what I find.

BP

Not to revive an old thread, but I'm going to be purchasing the cougar header setup in the near future. I was wondering what size the tubing was at the flange, and wanted to be 100% sure it would direct fit with my 2.25" exhaust.

I'm also going to purchase a magnaflow universal cat so i stay legal and put that downstream of the header/exhaust flange. My only question about this, is will the piping on the cat be larger/smaller/equal to the 2.25" piping on my exhaust? Magnaflow says it is 2.25", but I wanted to know if my exhaust tubing would slide over/into the cat tubing or if i will have to have a shop spread my exhaust.

Thanks for any info you might have.

Sorry to jump in late but I was browsing around and came across this thread. I ended up putting the cougar header on my 96 Zetec.

I recommend the cougar header, it was really easy to install. I also went with a magnaflow (carsound) cat.... you will want to use a 2.25" opening and have it welded. The cougar header is also 2.25" at the collector end.

For the egr....

You can cut the tube that goes to the cat and leave it open, it may trip a code and run a little less efficient, but your car will run fine (i ran this way for awhile). I didn't like the idea of having an open tube though so I ended up cutting a hole in the header's collector pipe and routing the egr tube that I cut down to the header... now the system operates as intended and with a header.

Sorry to jump in late but I was browsing around and came across this thread. I ended up putting the cougar header on my 96 Zetec.

I recommend the cougar header, it was really easy to install. I also went with a magnaflow (carsound) cat.... you will want to use a 2.25" opening and have it welded. The cougar header is also 2.25" at the collector end.

The haynes manual says you have to drain the coolant. Is this true or a myth?

The haynes manual says you have to drain the coolant. Is this true or a myth?

Myth. Install is quite easy. Hardest part was cutting the mounting strap for the cat (was rusted on). Oh, and don't use the gaskets that come wit the header - paper crap blew out within a couple days.

For the egr....

You can cut the tube that goes to the cat and leave it open, it may trip a code and run a little less efficient, but your car will run fine (i ran this way for awhile). I didn't like the idea of having an open tube though so I ended up cutting a hole in the header's collector pipe and routing the egr tube that I cut down to the header... now the system operates as intended and with a header.

That's good info on the pre-98 cars, however the VCT equipped cars don't bother with a conventional EGR tube - at least my '99 had no such complication. CustomX157 has a 2000, so he should be good to go for a bolt up operation. Only issues will be good gaskets and a CAT to stay legal if he chooses (& a MIL eliminator).

Back