• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Head bolt question. Need help ASAP!!

zts4u2nv

New CEG'er
well I just picked up a 97 contour with the 2.0 in it that needed a headed gasket. well I started pulling the head and come to find out there is a stripped headbolt head. Is there anything I can do about this? Not sure on how to get down in there.

Why did ford use the stupid design of using a star head for a head bolt?

Thanks for the info. I forgot about those, lol. I have a couple of sets of those at the shop and it worked perfect!! Got the head off and it was the head gasket. It was broke between 1 and 2 cyls.

I'm hoping you aren't trying to remove the head water plugs. If you are trying to remove the star bolts in the very center of the head, then you are removing the wrong bolts.

I'm hoping you aren't trying to remove the head water plugs. If you are trying to remove the star bolts in the very center of the head, then you are removing the wrong bolts.
no, the factory head bolts, at least on pre98s, are torx bit.

no, the factory head bolts, at least on pre98s, are torx bit.

I know, but the head bolts aren't in the very center of the head, they are under the cams.

Basically, if you can get to the 'bolts' with the cams in, you aren't removing the correct bolts.

yeah, he never said he didnt have the cams off already. I just stated that because you can actually get a socket down to most of the bolts without taking the cams out, however you wont be able to break them loose and will just strip the heads out (which is what it sounds like he discovered a previous owner had happen).

Back