• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hair shampoo

saintz

CEG'er
Here is a strange one for you, a while ago a mate in the Valeting trade recomended Asda (UK Supermarket) Hair shampoo at 37p a bottle for washing your car.

I have been using low cost hair shampoo on my cars for over 9 years now and I have to say the bugger was right.

I was told due to the hair shampoo taking the grease out of your hair without stripping it it helps clean but not take away the wax.

Also, with regards to squashed flies it takes them straight off also I never have a problem with streaked paintwork.

It works honest I never use anything else and never had a problem.

Just a small tip I thought I would pass on.:cool:

That's an interesting one. :cool:

Don Mallinson, of DC Care Care and SHO fame, posted the following regarding car soap on his site www.dccarecare.com:

Companies that have a vested interest in you buying their products have been spreading the word about all the damage that dishwashing soap will do to your car. Here is my take on all this.

The reason you wash a car is to remove dirt. To do that you need to do several things, most important is you need to make the water....wetter.

This may seem silly at first, what is more wet than water after all? Well, lots of things, but first and foremost, water has a thing called surface tension. This is what keeps water beading on shiny cars, and why you can fill a glass higher than the rim, up to a point. A good car wash soap will act to break down the surface tension. That is why soapy water doesn't bead.

Second, a wash soap must remove grease and dirt. It needs to be a detergent to do that, otherwise you are depending on the action of the wash cloth/mitt on the paint to scrape off the dirt. Not a pretty picture.

Third, a wash soap should make your paint feel slimy or slick, that means it is helping surround those bits of dirt/grease and let them rinse off your car.

I have tried lots of car wash products intended specifically for a car. Here is what I have found:

1. You CANNOT wash and wax your car at the same time. You can only do one or the other well. Any product claiming to do both is a compromise or worse.

2. Dishwashing soap does not "strip" wax off cars. I use Liquid Ivory exclusively on all my cars. Several national champions, 40 year old original paint, and daily drivers. The act of washing with ANY product will take a little bit of your wax off. That is what it's designed to do! Wax is supposed to slowly wear off to keep dirt from embedding in your paint. That is why Carnuba is such a great product. Every time you wipe, wash, rinse etc your car, you strip wax. It's going to happen no matter what you use.

Use a small squirt of Ivory Liquid in a bucket of water. You will get lots of suds. These are essential to helping get the dirt off your paint and away from your car without scratching. Any wash product that doesn't make lots of suds that last, is doing more harm than good. Most car wash specific products do not make good suds, and when you feel the wet paint it is not slick, but grabs at your hand. Ivory is slick and rinses clean.

2. Dishwashing soap does not "strip" wax off cars. I use Liquid Ivory exclusively on all my cars. Several national champions, 40 year old original paint, and daily drivers. The act of washing with ANY product will take a little bit of your wax off. That is what it's designed to do! Wax is supposed to slowly wear off to keep dirt from embedding in your paint. That is why Carnuba is such a great product. Every time you wipe, wash, rinse etc your car, you strip wax. It's going to happen no matter what you use.

I agree with what you posted with the only caveat being that it depends on what dish soap you use as to how much wax comes off. A very good degreasing dishsoap, like Dawn, will remove way more wax (usually all of it) than other dish soaps, especially those with conditioners and moisturizers like the Ivory mentioned above. I will specifically wash my car with Dawn when I want to pull all the wax off and start over.

If I need to start over from the beginning (why I would ever do that I don't know:shrug: ) I would use a product from Griots Garage called "Paint Prep" because its specifically made to remove the old wax and oils WITHOUT damaging the clearcoat. Dawn takes grease out of your way and I really wonder what else it does to your cars finish:confused: :rolleyes: :help:

Back