• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Guess what I picked up

hey mang, you wanna hand with the swap? I've helped out with a few swaps already and will be doing my own soon.... I could really use some more "seat time".

oh ya, I bring beer. pm me.

Thanks for the offer but I'm never sure when I'm going to work on it. I usually spend 1-2 hours a day on it and weekends are hit or miss. Like this weekend I replaced my buddies moms ball joints on her sport trac (the one in the first pic). I just never know :shrug:

Well, I had a probelm with the 3L swap. The problem was installing the PCV black box without removing the heads and since I'm using the SVT intake using the 3L valve covers wasnt an option. I took the legs of the cage on the black box and bent them inward to gain room. Once the box is in place I'll bend the legs back. No one will ever know :)
PICT4712.jpg

PICT4711.jpg

You had to bend them?? With a little patience and trying different ways, mine fit between the heads with no modification.

You had to bend them?? With a little patience and trying different ways, mine fit between the heads with no modification.

You know what, i didnt even try it on the 3L. It wouldnt fit between the 2.5 heads. Maybe theres more room on the 3L. I just figured I'd test fit it on the 2.5 first. Doh.

I bent mine just like that too. I tried to get in in first and it was too much of a PITA.

FWIW, I never bent mine back. Just installed them slighly bent like that. I cant imagine that it causes any type of restriction.

Why no grease in the intake ports? looks good otherwise
I've done port and polish jobs before. I'm just not a big fan of grease. I've seen it hide where you cant see it and hold shavings. Plus, the cams are removed so the valves are closed. When I'm done I'll flip the engine over vacumm the shavings out, run some compressed air in the cylinder and pop the intake valves open. Should shoot any remaining shavings right out the port.

I've done port and polish jobs before. I'm just not a big fan of grease. I've seen it hide where you cant see it and hold shavings. Plus, the cams are removed so the valves are closed. When I'm done I'll flip the engine over vacumm the shavings out, run some compressed air in the cylinder and pop the intake valves open. Should shoot any remaining shavings right out the port.

thats a nifty little trick.... huh.. going to have to file that one away.

Thanks. Now I have to order parts for the tranny. Thats gonna hurt the wallet :(
Torsen $600.00
Spec Clutch $425.00
bearings
Syncros

Theres some thing just wrong with dumping that much money in a "good" trans. I just know my luck, I'll drive to SZ and blow the trans there if I dont do it. No wait that happen to me already :(

Trust me, you'll want to do it. I was told I could make it a little while on an unmodded trans..made it less than 24 hours...The torsen and other Ford parts will be much less if you order from Tousley Ford. I ordered a new Torsen T2 and all parts associated with replacing a diff and it cost less than $600 with shipping :cool:

Thanks. Now I have to order parts for the tranny. Thats gonna hurt the wallet :(
Torsen $600.00
Spec Clutch $425.00
bearings
Syncros

Theres some thing just wrong with dumping that much money in a "good" trans. I just know my luck, I'll drive to SZ and blow the trans there if I dont do it. No wait that happen to me already :(

ugh tell me about it. I'm just about to drop my trans in (will create my own post for that), picked up a torsen (ok thats a bit out of my level to install), and got over burdened paying for all the other little goodies.... so its just going in as is. one day I'll get it pulled again and beefed up, but its been 2 years at this point, I just want to be able to drive it for a bit.

Well, as every one knows I blew my shift tower bolt at SZ a couple of years ago. Not only was it the cost of upgrading the tranny. It was a $400.00 tow :(
PICT1624.jpg

PICT1622.jpg

PICT1530.jpg

Hey, put your pictures back up in the thread. Now there are a bunch of dead pics. I wanted to look at them yesterday, sheesh!

Back