• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GROUP BUY: Fiberglass SVT Side Skirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
update: didnt get home this weekend to work on these. i will be headed home this coming weekend so i should finish the first plug and get the second one started.

UPDATE:

Got all my supplies shipped in this week, The plug was primed/sanded/and clayed to make the flanges.

With this awesome warm weather headed to the northeast this easter weekend i can work outside and have the driver's sideskirt mold done hopefully within the weekend with the passenger skirt on the jig by monday.

it sucks i can only work on these on the weekend. wish i could get these done sooner for you.

also: i will have a full write up on a how-to make fiberglass parts from a fiberglass mold since i am doing these for my final project in my fiberglass class. then you all can see how long it takes to do this stuff

first mold was made:

Didnt turn out like i wanted but turned out well enough that i can pull a part, make it a really good plug, and do some different things with the new mold to make it the best one yet. Im still a novice with mold building and i dont want to put out shody pieces and get a bad reputation.

quick side note: i might be working at the beach starting may 7th, if that is the case then this will be closed until Fall

I'd be in on this except everything fiberglass I've ever used on a car has either cracked or got blasted by a rock or some such. Plus I still have all 4 of my jackpoint covers. That hot glue idea mentioned before is a good idea. I could see this with like a single screw as a backup.

Those side skirts do look really good though, I wish I had that kind of talent. Any possibility of making these in duraflex or even carbon fiber? I'd trust those to actually last on me but I've had bad experiences lol.

Yeah, i agree with this totally. It's why I'm totally stoked about my new Duraflex Splitter; that fiberglass one cracked apart like a crunchy taco shell as soon as it touched anything.

Still, $250-300 shipped for a set of two skirts is waaay better than the factory price, and those are fiberglass as well; these are our best option right now. Rest assured, I would pay a little more for Duraflex tho, and would trust it more as well.

I'm spending my Contour cash on my splitter right now, but my skirts are in pretty sad shape; will these be available in a couple of months (for a little more dough, I imagine)?

UPDATE: right now i have one sideskirt pulled from the mold. The problem with making a mold from a plastic part is that the plastic deforms and isnt stiff. so the part has some waves on the back and one bump on the front. So im going to trim out the part i made. fix up all the problems with sanding and bondo. set it up as a plug and pull a nice new perfected mold/molds. Im still green at this so every time i do something i learn better ways or better procedures. i hope to have an online store by Fall with my product offerings.

i personally don't want to sell products that aren't anywhere close to where they should be. this would be like me selling these skirts for 150 a pair, having them fit like crap and requiring the consumer to spend their time and money to make them fit properly. id rather spend the time to make these as close to perfect as i can, that way with a quick scuff they can be painted and installed on the car. Making a product exceed people's expectations is what i am about. making life long customers not a quick dollar here and there.

i am sorry this is taking so long. if this was my main source of income and i had all my time to devote to it these would have been done a long time ago.

Yeah, i agree with this totally. It's why I'm totally stoked about my new Duraflex Splitter; that fiberglass one cracked apart like a crunchy taco shell as soon as it touched anything.
Fiberglass cracks easy, but for the price compared to polyurethane it's too easy to fix. Any DIY guy can patch fiberglass.

IMO with sideskirts.. if you crack the stock ones, polyurethane is a PITA to fix. It's flexible and loves to re-crack after you fix it.

If you don't, polyurethane is great. But fiberglass is easy and cheap to patch and you'll have no problems with sideskirts for the most part.. as opposed to the front lip.

My TRed coverless sideskirts will be done again in a week if anyone needs pics for reassurance to buy these :)

Side skirts

Side skirts

I am in Afghanistan bouncing from base to base and missed the deadline. Are you still able to get the skirts. I would definitely want a pair maybe two.

I am in Afghanistan bouncing from base to base and missed the deadline. Are you still able to get the skirts. I would definitely want a pair maybe two.
You didnt miss anything ive had some set backs and job relocation, so look for these to be good and ready in the fall.
UPDATE:

This Group Buy and all other Group buys as well as any future projects that i have started will be resumed sometime in September. I am currently employed in Ocean City Maryland for the summer and dont have adequate time, space or money to do the sideskirts or any other projects down there.

Thank you guys for being patient and be ready for these sideskirts as well as a slew of other products coming in the fall.

Good work on your mold. I have done this and know how much a PIA it can be.

IF you can come up with a more secure way of mounting these up front I would be interested. Tape and/or a hot glue gun flat will not work on the crapy roads where I live. They would pole vault into the ground within a month. MN roads, worst in the country next to CT I think.

Let me rephrase: If you are able to mount the front better, I would gladly increase cost accordingly.

Looking veery nice. I would just offer one very small suggestion, that would [unfortunately to some, I'd guess] depart from the stock look. I just prefer a little more aggressive styling, maybe others would too?
I photoshopped your beautiful silver SVT posted earlier in the thread:

silverSVT.jpg

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back