• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got the SVT to the track with new new mods...

99Mystique ATX

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm not exactly thrilled with how it ran, gonna get a wideband on it later this week and see what it's doing, I know its running pig rich which certainly isn't helping.

Here's the mod list: Torsen diff, new oem svt clutch, MSDS headers, optimized y-pipe, True Borla catback, K&N RU-3530/Maf adaptor, bat inlet pipe, optimized TB, 94A filled roll restrictors. I think that's all that's relevant.

R/T - .90
60' - 2.35
330 - 6.578
1/8 - 10.132
MPH - 70.23
1000 - 13.097
1/4 - 15.63
MPH - 88.99

I kinda figured with my mods my trap speed would be a little higher than that, I was figuring low 90's... Thoughts?

Likely going to go get a good base tune in it sometime next week so that should help out a good bit, with the headers and everything else i'm sure a tune will help out quite a bit.

Ouch. What was the air temp when you ran? I would have figured you would have been high 14's with those mods. A good tune will help.

You have any check engine lights? Seems a little slow for what you've got done. I ran a 15.6 (at 90 I think?)with similar mods (but I had a crappy base tune) and a 2.6 60' :blackeye: so you should be doing better.

P0430 is the only code it's been throwing.

Right now it's untuned, hopefully going early next week to at least get a decent base tune in it.

Air temps were in the mid 70's at the beginning of the night and high 60's towards the end...

P0430 is the only code it's been throwing.

Right now it's untuned, hopefully going early next week to at least get a decent base tune in it.

Air temps were in the mid 70's at the beginning of the night and high 60's towards the end...

What rpms were you launching at? How far down did you feather the car/rpms before you took off? That was my main problem!!

I was launching around 3000-3200rpm. I think launching it at a higher rpm and slipping the clutch a little more would have helped me out a bit.

What about the tires you are using. That's very relevant. So is tire pressure. There could be a more difference in time with these two variables then any one of your mods, maybe even all combined.

He should be 14.9-15.1 in the 1/4. As a better drive he can hit 14's all day.

I don't know what to say except maybe a tune would be best?

Check your tire pressure. I haven't drag raced but during auto cross, tire pressure is a world of difference. I suppose that may only be related to heavy turning. :shrug:

For the fronts I dropped them down to 23-24 psi, rears were at pretty much the max. Front tires are bridgestone potenza g009's. They were very well heated up too... :D

Looking at the video of my best run after the car hooks up off the line it bogs down a bit so I think launching from a higher rpm and slipping the clutch a bit more might help me out a bit and keep it from bogging down.

wow, i ran my 14.9's on bald toyo's at 38psi and stock diff.
i think heating some tires work, depends on the tire compound

good runs man get back and get those times down:cool:

All you do when you heat up street tires is make the rubber softer. They don't get sticky. In most cases, the softer tread squirms and you wind up having less traction. Only tires with about a treadwear rating of 120 or less will have a minimum optimal operating range higher than what the tires will already be at during the summer. About 120-140 degrees depending on the tire in question.

They seemed to hook up fairly well once heated... Maybe next time i'll try a run with street pressure in them and see how they do...

I don't think its as much the traction as it is the rest of his 1/4 mile. You might need to practice on shifting or just put in a 3L:laugh:

after the car hooks up off the line it bogs down a bit
A bog of any amount just off the line will KILL your times. I'd say you're on the right track thinking to launch at a higher RPM. Get your launch down before you start over-analyzing other things like tire pressure.

Just to show what a good launch can do.... in my GSR, a low-RPM or otherwise bad launch meant high 14's to low-15's, while a good, 5K+ launch got me low-mid 14's.

A bog of any amount just off the line will KILL your times. I'd say you're on the right track thinking to launch at a higher RPM. Get your launch down before you start over-analyzing other things like tire pressure.

I dunno; his 60' time is about the same as mine (mine was 2.34), and I ran a 15.3 in the Cougar, last time I was at the track... three years ago...

I think he's short-shifting.

Doing some tuning tomorrow, gonna hook up the wideband to see what kinda AFR i'm looking at now and work from there. Do a little datalogging make sure everything is a-ok and then we'll go from there.

Hopefully by tomorrow night i'll have a good base tune in it... :D

Back