• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got smoked by a Saturn ION Reline stage II

Klasse Act

I pee with gloves on!
A couple weekends ago I raced one of these cars and got "freight trained" where he just pulled on me on the top end (won going away and then some) and just kept going. I did manage to stay ahead of him in 1 and 2nd gears though. I've done a little research and found out these cars in stock trim run mid to low 14's, so its already got a leg up on me, although I've got a great exhaust and functional ram-air intake system. With the stage II the car puts down 247 hp, so with a bump of 42 hp its gotta be in the high 13's. Does anyone know anything about these cars and heard stories about them? BTW the guy was real cool afterwards and even compliments my own ride and incase anyone wonders, I didn't buy the MINI as a drag car either, just wanted to see what it could do:crazy:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=38383&highlight=saturn+ion

2006 Saturn Ion Redline.

Engine: 4-Cyl. Supercharged
Horsepower: 205@ 5600

-He yells "hey, lets go man".... .
-I said " your car looks alright, what is it?"
-"Ion Redline" he yells back.
-I asked "what are all those fancy gauges for on your pillar?"
-He replied "blah, blah, boost"
-I was like "what the heck is the boost gauge for, a turbo?"
-"No" he said "it's for the supercharger"
-He asks "what are all your gauges for?"
-I said "everything that is important"

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Off we go, needless to say he got to experience my exhaust rasp first hand and I wasn't even getting on it .

Here is the article where the Ion beats out the Cobalt SS..http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._3+page-4.html

Cobalt SS (Supercharged) 0-60 6.1 sec 1/4 mile 14.6 @ 99
Ion Redline (Supercharged) 0-60 6.0 sec 1/4 mile 14.6 @ 98

Cobalt SS (Turbocharged) 0-60 5.7 sec 1/4 mile 14.2 @ 102

Unless the person cant drive at all, this is a sub 15 second 1/4 mile car..

I'll trust what the writers at Motortrend and Caranddriver say, more than when somebody says they beat x car by a length and lost to b car by a length so he will run h amount of time....

I knew what the car was stock, but this one had the stage II badging on the back and considering how bad he crushed my modded R56 MINI, it had that and "then some". I ended up talking to a couple guys at the cruize spot and they told me about one blue ION RL in the parking lot that had some rare factory mods and it ran 12.7's, but this car didn't have the badging on the back like the one I raced a week earlier, but then again he could've removed it, right:shrug: If those cars could just hook 13's are well with in reason for sure.

Yes but thier s/c'ers take a dump alot. I have a buddy with one and 5 months into owning it the s/c died on him, they replaced it and 3 months later it died again, then finally they replaced it again and 2 months later it died again. It was all done by the dealership and he wasnt doging the car, he can drive it. He ended up selling it and got a g8 gt which is a great upgrade.

the cars are awesome. I miss the hell out of the one we had and it was stock. I have a few buddies i met around here with stg2 cars and they scream. i know we had ours at the track one time and i posted about it on here il have to look but it ran a decent 1/8th they are also pretty light considering their size.

I saw a cobalt SS (supercharged) vs a f150 extended cab with a 351.....
They were dead even out of first and the cobalt pulled by half a car by the end of of his second gear.....i was shocked seeing this junky f150 runing this SS for its money.Made me respect ford soo much more :laugh:

I must admit i do really like the new turbo SS. Makes me want to go buy one since they are soo cheap right now.

I was talking with a guy who has the new turbo colbalt ss. He dynoed it at 259 whp. That means that the 260 crank hp rating is a little conservative.

I was talking with a guy who has the new turbo colbalt ss. He dynoed it at 259 whp. That means that the 260 crank hp rating is a little conservative.

Which is always the case now with these new muscle cars. :cool:
But thats fine by me....because i always say hey man...it's not the car its me driving it :laugh:

Since all dyno's aren't the same I can't actually relate and underated hp number as I put down 150 on this particular Mustang dyno called the "heartbreaker", but I can say my torque number on the same dyno was 173 and the car is rated at 177 ft/lbs.

I haven't gotten into too many races with the MINI, but last year I smoked a new WRX, but it certainly wasn't the new one with the added power, but I'm sure the guy was shaking his head that he just got beat by a MINI:laugh:

I saw a cobalt SS (supercharged) vs a f150 extended cab with a 351.....
They were dead even out of first and the cobalt pulled by half a car by the end of of his second gear.....i was shocked seeing this junky f150 runing this SS for its money.Made me respect ford soo much more :laugh:

I must admit i do really like the new turbo SS. Makes me want to go buy one since they are soo cheap right now.

Only the sedans are cheap and that is because of a lack of demand which has caused the death of a 2010 Cobalt SS Sedan. The coupes have NOT slid in value that much. Thankfully...lol :laugh:

Roger, did this ION Red Line have Indiana plates?

Update!

Update!

I actually spoke to the guy who owns the car that smoked me and although he hasn't dyno'd his car he's got buddies with the same car and same mods and from what he told me the car with its "winter tune" puts down about 275 to the wheels but since our race he's done some more mods that puts him around 315 to the wheels:shocked: and to that all I can say is TORQUE STEER CITY:eek: This car is truely a sleeper, watch out for it if your ever in the metro Detroit area!

A guy my brother knows picked up a turbo SS coupe with every option from the dealer for $16k. Car looked nice but the owner was a tool. I asked him how much hp they had and he said around 300. I asked him if that had a 2.0L motor in it and he said it was a 2.4L (lol it's a 2.0L). He thought we'd have a pretty good race but I shrugged it off because he was a D-bag.

Then I hear that a week later he blew a head gasket. WTF? I'd be pissed if that happened on my new car.

MY buddy just got "dynolicious" installed into his cell phone, so I'm going to get some numbers via that and compare them to the dyno I went on as well as my 1/4 mile times. Anyone know how accurate these things are:confused:

Back