• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

got little scratches in clearcoat on paint

97vulcan

CEG'er
Whats the best way to remove tiny circular scratches in the paints clearcoat on the body. My car color is silver. Will a wax, or polish help remove them, or blend them in?? :shrug:

Thanks,

Adam

If they are not too widespread, I use Meguiar's Scratch X. Scratch X and some elbow grease with a clean applicator pad, and microfiber to buff it off, will work wonders.

If it's all over the car, you'll really want to use a tool (PC) and some compound. I don't have experience with that, other than experimenting with a PC and some 3M polishing compound.

thanks for the help. my friend saw the scratches and said they were in the paint. Is there any hope? I'll try to take a picture of what I am talking about.

Thanks,
Adam

If the scratches did make it past the clear coat, but not too far, and definatly not to the primer, would Scratch X help make them less obvious?? :help:

Thanks,
Adam

If they're minor, you should be able to reduce or eradicate their appearance by waxing and polishing. Using a wheel or orbital buffer will provide the best results. Using a wheel is a special skill. Ham-fisted efforts can burn the paint. The orbital is a much safer bet, and should make an improvement.

Meguiar's claims that NXT will to help reduce the appearance of fine swirls. This would only be a temporary fix as the fillers would eventually wear out. A good polish w/ a machine is the only permanent solution (aside from a repaint, of course).

Thanks guys for all your help! I was planning on using Meguiars Diamond Cut stuff with a OB. Is the diamond stuff any good?

Thanks again!

Adam

Back