• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Glove box lock?

alien_yet_familiar

Hard-core CEG'er
Is there a way to install a lock on the glove box? I'd like to keep my gun in the glove box but am not going to leave it in there unlocked. Thanks!

IIRC there was a lock on the early Contours, 95, 96 and maybe 97. If there was, it is a matter of finding the assembly in a wrecking yard and substituting it for yours. You will need the key from the donor car and you may not be able to rekey it to yours, a locksmith could look it over and let you know.

Will the owner of an early Contour please speak up as to if they did have a locking glove box?

I have a 96 contour, and it looks like it has a place for one..but there isn't one that i see.

I have many times wondered what the thing might have been, and that could be it.

I'm sorry, but don't think (even for a second) that the flimsy little plastic shrouded lock on that plastic handle, of that vinyl glovebox is going to be a minutely safe place for an unsupervised firearm.

If you have a weapon, take it with you. If you can't, get a license. If you can't, get something else to store it in. It just is NOT safe to leave a weapon in the car with the only semblance of security being that lock...

I have to agree with Ray on this one, I keep my weapon in the car in a locked black box, unloaded and slide locked to the rear. I am lic with the state, FBI and DOD to own, and carry it only when I have no choice.

I usually carry mine on me - I have had a CCW for several years now - but there's always somewhere I can't carry it with me.

I don't leave it in the car unless it's not legal to take it with me - into the airport to pick up or drop off someone, into a federal building, into a school, etc. I'm not going to leave it there for extended periods; that's irresponsible.

That should have been specified, sorry.

And if it's not feasible to make a safe lockable place, then I suppose I could always lock it in the trunk with the little safety catch in place.

And no offense intended, recoveryone, but why carry it with you at all if you're not going to be able to get to it to use it if your life is in danger?

yes my 95 se has a lock on the glove box. it's keyed with the trunk.

I'm sorry, but don't think (even for a second) that the flimsy little plastic shrouded lock on that plastic handle, of that vinyl glovebox is going to be a minutely safe place for an unsupervised firearm.

If you have a weapon, take it with you. If you can't, get a license. If you can't, get something else to store it in. It just is NOT safe to leave a weapon in the car with the only semblance of security being that lock...

Is it really a lock? How do you "engage" it? Because whenever i have it into the lock position, i can still open my glovebox :S

I didn't know what it was till now, lol.

Is it really a lock? How do you "engage" it? Because whenever i have it into the lock position, i can still open my glovebox :S

I didn't know what it was till now, lol.
turn key clockwise to lock or counter cloclwise to un lock and return to center to remove key edit or are you talking about the little drop down hook ?

turn key clockwise to lock or counter cloclwise to un lock and return to center to remove key edit or are you talking about the little drop down hook ?

I believe i am talking about the little drop down hook :S

All i know is that there is no luck or anything there, and its on the left of the handle.

I'll have to keep my eye out for two different boxes at the junkyard - one to see how tough it is to break into, and the other to install if it is tough enough.

I found one in the junk yard but it looks like the key has a reverse pattern to it... i dunno ... im taking it to a lock smith to try and have it keyed to my key... we shall see

You are right about the reverse key. When those were made, the trunk and glove box used a "reversed" key which was done away with by the time your car was made. That is why I said you would need the key from the donor car.

With a little luck, your locksmith may be able to find a lock cylinder that can be made compatible with your ignition key. If you succeed, please let us know how he did it.

Back