• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

gas mileage

my sister runs 45 psi in her evo tires, mostly b/c she drives about 180 miles per day and needs to get the best gas milage...
Also I dont think anyone has mentioned using a lighter oil will help also, I believe :confused:

yeah, it does. but barely. thats why all the new fords run 5W20 as opposed to 5W30. i wouldn't use a lighter oil unless it reccommends it.

This subject is kind of a common sense deal. Any given car is only going to be able to get a maximum of "X" mpg. So whatever was the best these cars have gotten in the past, that's all you're going to get now (or worse) unless you figure out a way to share the load of the engine with some other form of power like mounting an electric motor somehow or rigging sails to take advantage of a tail wind. :laugh: Get it? Generally, the factory mpg ratings were probably tilted towards the high side so if you are approaching those figures, you're doing okay. If you venture into the bizarre approach, for instance over filling your tires, you are going to suffer in some other area as the factory recommendations are for a mix of ride comfort, performance and reliability. This is one of those "chose one" kind of deals where to make one choice, you'll more or less forfeit the others. Obviously if you are getting way worse than factory ratings, something's in need of repair.
Karl

Back