• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Full 3L Swap

hi, i have read alot for doing a 3l swap, really will like parts list and step by step mods to engine being swap in my 99 svt (what parts of the 2.5 i will use) can anyone one be kind of provide me with all this info.

Can you email it to me too please? The more info, the better, right? ;)

Thanks. I'll take pictures of my swap. I am starting it in about 20 minutes. Leaving work right now. the 2.5 is already out of the engine, the 3L is sitting beside the car. Bye for now.
Sa2ah_3L.jpg

Sa2ah_3L_01.jpg

Whoa, that's been sitting outside for awhile :blackeye: - how many miles are on that?

Whoa, that's been sitting outside for awhile :blackeye: - how many miles are on that?

Was your comment towards my post? I agree that the exterior of mine looks older. Check out these interior:

3L_10.jpg

3L_11.jpg

3L_12.jpg

3L_13.jpg

3L_14.jpg

OOPS, this last pic is of the SVT oil pan. I started to clean it up tonight before I called it a night.

OH, and I need to post something else in a second....

That thing....

That thing....

There was a thread on here, and someone was saying that you need to grind off the little nipple piece that comes out of the engine for the automatic setup. We pulled it out with an air hammer and vise grips.

3L_05.jpg

3L_06.jpg

Few issues now....

Few issues now....

So now we are dealing with the whole returnless Taurus setup vs the Contour Return setup. I was warned about it...but what can you do when you finally find a 3L for the swap and it is the other style, right? I saw some of the pics that a few other guys have done to get around this. I am going to call the wreckers tomorrow and see if the 04 Taurus had a return setup, and see if I can grab the fuel rail from that, and the upper intake. (Ours was damaged when we got the engine).

I already rigged up the oil pick up tube issue. ;)

3L_00.jpg

there is no return style '00 and up

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Like I said, I will call and get a return style from a pre-00. Other people heard me say that, right, right? ;) (ok but for real, thanks for the input, as I don't know too much about this swap/this vehicle). It is a learn as I go deal here. Boards like this are SO key. The car is actually a good friend of mine's. Sa2ah. I think she is a member of this board. She has been bugging me for months to do this swap for her...and finally blew her engine up and dropped her car off and told me to do it. And here I am....smack in the middle of this.

Thanks to everyone on this board for their awesome contributions and write-ups!!! What a great community.

Ok thanks for the heads up.

Like I said, I will call and get a return style from a pre-00. Other people heard me say that, right, right? ;) (ok but for real, thanks for the input, as I don't know too much about this swap/this vehicle). It is a learn as I go deal here. Boards like this are SO key. The car is actually a good friend of mine's. Sa2ah. I think she is a member of this board. She has been bugging me for months to do this swap for her...and finally blew her engine up and dropped her car off and told me to do it. And here I am....smack in the middle of this.

Thanks to everyone on this board for their awesome contributions and write-ups!!! What a great community.

ok i hate to hurt your feelings but the 99 and earlier are split port and wont work either... it is a pain. there are really only 2 ways of doing it. NPG converter or brazing. the older fuel rails really wont work. if i still had the one i had id take a pic for you.

the other alternative is to switch the whole fuel system to a newer returnless style using junkyard parts.

Ok so we'll have to braze one up. We are thinking of putting the return tube directly under the main tube to bring it back to the same side of the car. There are a few pics up here of guys that did brazing before. We'll figure something out and I'll post pics up of what we rig up.

(Thanks again)

Craig and Sa2ah are both of you in the London area? I'm in Burlington but will be in London on Halloween weekend and wouldn't mind meeting up with some CEGers.

Aaron

heyhey, lol.
Good work so far craig, excited to fianlly having this swap done!
Sa2ah, I'll probably start grinding the heads out tonight. Alex is feeling sick, he didn't come to work today...but I am going to see if he wants to make one of these with me:
FuelRailMod001small.jpg

Craig and Sa2ah are both of you in the London area? I'm in Burlington but will be in London on Halloween weekend and wouldn't mind meeting up with some CEGers.

Aaron
Uh oh...

If that's a yes PM me your information, I'll be in town Nov1. Why have 1 3L around when you could have another one :D.

Aaron

Back