• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Full 3.0

1_slo_99

New CEG'er
Ive been searching and havent found a 100% answer on this so im going to ask. Can i take a 3.0 and swap it in how it sits? I know the mount has to be figured out, and the crank pulley ect, but can i just throw a 3.0 in and go?

No, the star wheel needs to be flipped to line up with the timing sensor used by the Contour's computer. That means the timing chain cover needs to come off. You have to grind down the mounts on the back side of the motor.

There are many posts on this.

Dependant upon what year and model the engine came from and model year it's going into, don't forget about the oil pan, dipstick, tube, fuel rail, pilot bushing, upper engine mount and pcv system...

OK let me be a little more specific, can i reuse the 3.0 heads, cams, timing set, intake? i have a 99 contour se sport and dont have any svt parts and dont have the money for them right now. Ive got enough to get the motor out of a 05 sable vin code s. Ive already got my timing cover from my 2.5 (will this work) with new seals. and also the oil pan gasket. Just want this on the road asap and dont want to replace a timing set in my 2.5 since it has 143k on it compared to 40k on the 3.0. I will be taking it apart later if i decide to keep the car but ill so a little at a time.

its pretty expensive for gaskets and lots of work to swap engines.... so if your running low on money, keep the 2.5 in and do it right when funds are availible...

and if your 2.5 is blown, you should of stated that in the original post.

do you have the tools and equipment to swap an engine (and garage this time of year)? if not bring me the car (I live just a little north east of Louisville up I71) and I will put a full 3L in it for you, price depends on the options you want and how you want to pay for everything.

no matter what, with a full 3L you will need to get it tuned.

It does all fit though.

101_0816.jpg

its pretty expensive for gaskets and lots of work to swap engines.... so if your running low on money, keep the 2.5 in and do it right when funds are availible...

and if your 2.5 is blown, you should of stated that in the original post.

The 2.5s not blown, timing chain has been streched which it jumped 1 tooth. I know its "alot of work" to swap engines, i have done many swaps but this is my first 3.0 swap and first contour. Ive owned 3 2.5's now and would like to get a small gain out of the 3.0. Moneys tight but i have already planned on the gaskets so thats in my budget, whats not in the budget is svt intake, cams, ect...

Stricker i will send you a pm although we have plenty of tools and the cars in a heated garage right now.

Don't worry about cams, intake manifolds etc if you are going full 3.0L. Just get the right parts to get it running. And like striker said, you WILL need a tune to have it run on a FULL 3.0L correctly. You also have to think about the fuel rail.

@ 1_slo_99
I know of a guy here in NJ that can help with the tune, PM me and ill send you a link to his website. He works with a lot of ford and builds a lot of wild vehicles which he tunes on a four wheel dyno(the only one in NJ). I'm not sure of his prices though. but good luck with everything.

Back