• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front spring problem?

HerronScott

CEG'er
All,

We had a front spring (driver's side) break on our 1996 Ford Contour Sport (4-cylinder, 5-speed, AC) and I ordered springs and struts from Rock Auto. Problem is that the car is sitting too high in the front and the wheels are cambered out at the top after replacement. Springs are Raybestos and the part number ordered and on the packing list matches and is supposed to be for our car, but there was no part number on the springs or the box they came in so I wonder if we were shipped the wrong springs - maybe for the V6 instead of the 4?

Any thoughts on what else could cause this problem? Should I just order springs from Ford to be sure I'm getting the right thing?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Thanks for the reply. I'm just disappointed first that the spring actually broke and second that a simple spring and strut replacement did not go smoothly.

Scott

I had a stock front spring break. Luckily, with the pre98 setup, and only the bottom of the spring seat breaking off, the spring stayed in place in the perch and I could still drive on it.

FWIW, the shop I brought it to installed V6 springs. :nonono:

I had a stock front spring break. Luckily, with the pre98 setup, and only the bottom of the spring seat breaking off, the spring stayed in place in the perch and I could still drive on it.

FWIW, the shop I brought it to installed V6 springs. :nonono:

Ours broke near the top but was enough to stay in and we drove it for quite a while that way. It only clunked when turning typically (which embarrassed my wife in parking lots). It sounds obvious that Ford had a design/quality issue with the Contour front springs given how many reports I've seen of them breaking.

So you had the same problem (ie. sitting too high and wheels camberted out)? Did you get them to fix it?

Scott

There was a service bulletin due to frequent front spring failure. Ford's fix was to have the dealer bolt on a special plate that would keep the spring from cutting the tire in the event of breakage.

I think most replacement springs will make your car sit high. The aftermarket manufacturers (for stock springs) must just make one rate to cover all the varieties of engine etc to keep their inventories less complex.
I put Moog springs on the rear of my Mystique about 4 years ago and it still sits high.
I doubt buying springs from Ford will help. They probably don't make them. They just buy them from Moog , Raybestos or etc.

Back