• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Oval Help

Use Purple super clean.. its like 10 dollars for a huge container and it'll dissolve almost anything. Pine sol works too, to a lesser degree. I use both the to desolve enamel and paint off metal models and it takes about 1 day and a toothbrush.. maybe it would work for the chrome

NOTE; be careful with this stuff though, if its in too long, it also dissolves plastic......

Im not exactly sure what kind of acid you all are talking about.. but i work with muriatic acid alot, and i know leaving it non diluted is a pretty bad idea, and also even though the acid is a corrosive when it comes to metal.. if you leave it long enough it will eat away at most things..

if nothing else it will make the ring pretty weak and i would assume not hold up very well over a long period of time.

But on another note.. i've found out that one kind of aluminum polish/polishing compound actually removes the chrome and its as easy as wiping it away. I dont recall the name but if you need ill go take a look in my garage tomorrow.

Just get a sander and go to town. Took me a total of 2 hours to strip the chrome off.:shrug:

Back