• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front end drop - how long to "settle", are struts perches different?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
So I was antsy to get a new suspension on my car before summer, and I may have jumped the gun... I wanted to get the Koni sport kit, but it was out everywhere where it was cheap, so I sprung for BAT struts and B&G springs. I'd seen one pic of them installed, and they looked fine.
I installed them on 4/1/11, and they've only dropped .5" in the front and .75" in the rear. Now I'm starting to think I should rock some new front springs to get it a tad lower. I'm totally fine with the rear, but the front still has significant fender gap.
Would the spring perches be "higher" on the BATs than on the Konis or something? Either that or brand new spring take a long time to settle. I've probably only put 300 miles on it. :blackeye:
I was really hoping for 1.5+ for the front to drop. Weird because the FAQ has the B&G's as 1.6"F and 1.0"R. I'm close in the rear, but the front is WAY off.
Erick --

from what I have read on here it will take about to a couple thousand miles on them before they settle. it should go down another inch.

The picture you saw was of BAT/B&G combo like what you've got? Or was it B&G springs on a different kind of strut?
It was B&G and BAT. There was only one pic that I could find. Certainly not a popular combo! Not sure what to think of that.

I figured I just hadn't waited long enough. I'll chill this summer. It would be nice to see that front end drop another inch or so... Although I pulled it up on ramps the other night and that was already a PITA.
Thanks guys.
Erick --

I used the mevotech strut mounts all around...the fronts are fine, but the rears arent really shaped right so the spring seat doesnt sit where it should. This has caused my car to appear to sit a good 2 inches too high. It looks like a rally car.

Back