• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front and rear mount questions -- BRANDS to look at and avoid?

dlphnfn

Veteran CEG'er
Getting new Koni's soon. Now I'm looking at mounts, of course.
Here's what I have seen for FULL sets for 4 mounts and bearings:
OEM's @ Tousley - $180
Mevotech @ RockAuto - $127
Monroe @ RockAuto - $168
Moog @ RockAuto - $242
Gabriel @ carparts.com - $56!!!
You can see where I'm going here... I can't find anywhere where it states Gabriel's are Chinese made (which I prefer not to buy), but the price is intriguing.
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about any brand(s)?
Erick --

my DD has Monroe mounts, haven't seen any issues and I have put ~20k on it in the last year. Not sure how many miles where on the mounts before that.

I think I went with monroe also on my SeVT. Only a few miles on those but mine so far.

If and when i have to do them on my SVT I will go OEM, don't care about the costs there.

i have the adjustable monroes. not a lot of miles but i haven't had any problems yet.

I just bought the Gabriels. If they install OK and last a few years, I figure they're worth it. I'm not into putting cheap crap on my car, but at less than 1/3rd of the OEM (discounted) price, I figure you can't go wrong. Especially with as easy as they are to replace.
Erick --

i know that several people don't like the moog kits, and i can understand why. i however am driving a zetec with a slushbox that is practically stock, i don't race it, i don't take it to the track, i do drive a little fast in the twisties around here but that's about it. i don't see any reason as to why i should have problems with them. now if i had a turbo and i raced it and it saw regular time at a track then perhaps i would look in to something else.

I have the moog kit also and I thought they were complete junk when i first got them but when i got the upgraded thicker camber plate It made a world of difference. Took it to get aligned for other reasons but they got the camber within factory spec and after maybe 4-5 k they havent moved, which was my issue with the original top plate.

I have had 2 of these moog kits break on me. They are nice for adjusting camber but they do not last long at all. Both times they cracked and the strut came up thru it.:nonono:

I bought the cheap Gabriels. All 4 of them for under $60 shipped. They look the part... I'll find out in a couple years if they act the part.
Erick --

I just ordered a set of Gabriel mounts today, too. And I'm with you - if they last a couple of years, that's great. I can replace suspension parts in my sleep at this point, so I don't mind replacing them if they get sloppy eventually.

Back