• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford Taurus SHO or Contour SVT??? wat would u pick?

If parts were easy to find and you could get one in good condition, I would go with the SHO. Since parts are a pain to get and most of the SHO's out there are old, I would get the SVT.

Get yourself a low mileage 99-00 SVT and have fun modding it. You can still find replacement parts for the SVT, and it is much newer....my vote has to go with the SVT.

tricker..its unfare to compare a svt w/a motorswap and bolts on's to a sho w/boltons...do the 3.2 swap w/3.0 cams bbb,ported snakes and end tanks..etc.
in the near future i see myself trading or selling my svt for another gen2 sho. although i'd love the gen3 w/the mazda6 5spd swap:drool:

yeah. i know thats why i really am not comparing them. i would still put my SVT up against a 3.2 manual SHO with similar mods. they are both potent engines, the SHO has more power typically but the SVT weighs a little less i'd say, am i right?

yeah. i know thats why i really am not comparing them. i would still put my SVT up against a 3.2 manual SHO with similar mods. they are both potent engines, the SHO has more power typically but the SVT weighs a little less i'd say, am i right?
the 1st gen sho is around 3100lbs. and is the quickest b/c of that. so prob. about the same wieght as a loaded svt. a 1g sho and svtc w/a 3l would be a good match...albeit short b/c of shattering diff's by both parties:laugh:

my twist on this...

my twist on this...

The reason I have my SVT is because I loved the first and second gen SHO's. I felt the SVT Contour was a successor in a way, since the third gen turned into a different kind of SHO. I love how the SHO motor was such a dedicated, high-performance motor.

I would probably take an SHO over an SVT if you were comparing new to new, since both are now a distant memory, if used, SVT.

Does a little body kit and some rims really make THAT much of a difference?!

I dont think it does... i think the SHO's look much better than the base model of a Taurus though.
I'd take a Taurus SHO over a Contour any day... i've seen 465 hp out of a SHO that was supercharged and i fell in love.... Just curious, wats the most power out of a CSVT 2.5 or 3.0???

410 WHP to burritaSVT but he turned up the boost after that. he'll probably have his beast back together this summer? :)

lets not forget the noble tt 3L we know the engine is capable of far more than what members on here have done. the tranny on the other hand..lol

Let's see, I had an '89 SHO MTX in undergrad, then bought a '94 SHO MTX for med school, then just sold a '97 SHO (bought this year with 9700 miles) to buy a low mileage '99 CSVT---so I have a fair objectivity to throw in an opinion.
From my experience, I'd take a new MTX SHO over a new CSVT--but you can't find nice condition SHOs like you can a CSVT, so the CSVT is a better choice now.
SHOs are better than the CSVT based on engine (those SHO motors rock when the secondaries open :drool: ), size, sound system. The CSVT is just a step behind in power, but is newer, looks better, handles better, and has all the upgrades available I'd ever consider. Seats are a wash but I'd give the nod to the SHO for the adjustable side bolsters. CSVT shifts smoother and gets better MPG and the factory exhaust sounds very good.
Reliability, thats debatable :shrug:
The V8 SHO just never had the original spirit of the original SHO but it was a very nice cruiser. If they offered a MTX it would have been a great car, you could tell the auto held it back big time, even with the SCT tune I tweaked.
Hopefully one day I'll have a nice 3L, LSD, and a few suspension upgrades to make the CSVT much better than my previous SHOs.
-J

the auto doesnt really hold it back that much..the car is just two heavy for the engine. there are a few mazda6 5spd swaped v8 sho's running around. there's a video on youtube of one in the 1/4 mile..still a 15 second car:shrug:

you got it dude. mrbnatural from MST3k...its been my avatar for over 2 years now on many forums, and i even own mrbnatural.com -- but you're the first to see the connection. congrats.

the auto doesnt really hold it back that much..the car is just two heavy for the engine. there are a few mazda6 5spd swaped v8 sho's running around. there's a video on youtube of one in the 1/4 mile..still a 15 second car:shrug:
There are only 2 running MTX V8 SHOs and 1-2 guys working on them. Great idea, just too involved for me for those cars--like you said, they're heavy.
We can agree to disagree I guess on the auto. I definitely think it holds it back. I had the auto SCT tuned for better TC function and to snap off shifts at 7000rpm, but it still wasn't great IMO.
-J

I test drove a V8 SHO about a year ago. Nice cruiser over all. Loved the tone of the engine when I got on it. But to me if felt like a barge. Maybe I was just too used to the Tour.

I used to own a 91 SHO+ white with white wheels and black leather. loaded with an mtx. Car was awesome. you never get picked on in it cause it doesnt get looke dat twice until you roast somebody in it. seats kill the svt's and power is awesome It would be a hard choice. I loved the one I had but loved the svt as well

i wish my SHO was faster. i guess 150k miles can hurt the performance a little.
i bet it needs new shims
if that service was never done i bet your valves arent opening as far as they should be:shocked: and that will cut into your performance,if ridden in old shim's vs. new shims...night and day difference....you should just trade me your sho for my svtc:laugh:

i would do that in a heartbeat if your svt runs lol. svt's are my thing. i've nut and bolted everything on contours minus the interior.

Back