• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog Light Mod Version 2.0

If you look at the picture on the zip file, not in the document, you are powering up what is essentially the high beam circuit, which is why with my mod, if you have the parking lights on, and you push the high beam switch forward, the highs will turn on, which normally only works when the low-beams are turned on. The diode prevents your low-beams from turning on when you turn your switch to parking lights. The reason the power has to be fed to the high beam relay is because that is the only way I've found, besides modding the whole switch assembly (which I haven't gotten to play around with yet) to have the parking light mod while still retaining factory functionality of the fog's turning off when the high beams are turned on...

more than 4 forward facing lights is illegal in most(all???) states.

fogs plus highs plus lows is 6.

but how many cops will pull you over for too many lights?

And if you're a smart driver, IE not an eh-hole, you turn off brights when you see oncoming traffic. My old ranger had 8 forward facing lights, and when there was no oncoming it was the sun in front of me, loved it, but when i saw headlights coming they turned off. I drove past a few cops sitting on the side of the road with all my lights on and never got hassled.

Similar to my dad's Chevy pick up truck. Has a light bar with 6 KC's and then 4 head lights. It's mainly used as a trail rig, hence that many lights, but he would occasionally drive it around town during the nights, and never once got pulled over with it, well not because of the lights anyway. Everyone was 'awwed' by the truck, so some cops would stop him to ask about it.

Most of those light bars to come with a stipulation that they are for off road use only, just like underglow lights, I'm glad you haven't got pulled over for having more than 4 forward facing lights on, but it sounds like just enough reason for one to pull you over just to check if you're drinking and f*** you over... and why go against the law on something so stupid...

Awesome presentation/How-to!!!! I like kiss methods and with your Pics it should be a breeze. Unfortunately I've already done the second relay. I will try this on my spare Mistake 08/98.
Curious which schematics/diagrams did you use? All I have is the Ford CD.
TNX

Awesome presentation/How-to!!!! I like kiss methods and with your Pics it should be a breeze. Unfortunately I've already done the second relay. I will try this on my spare Mistake 08/98.
Curious which schematics/diagrams did you use? All I have is the Ford CD.
TNX

Mitchell

Link is down

Can you post the entirety on here so we don't have to download it?

I see. I always wondered why my low beams turned off on my 03 Silverado when I turned the brights on. In that application, there is actually a company that sells a very successful "High-4" kit that consists of some relays that you wire in to eliminate that action. I guess from my point of view, you could argue that the headlights and fog lights could be considered only 4 separate forward facing lights at most, as they are 4 assemblies, but 2 have 2 sets of bulbs. :shrug: Also, has ANYONE ever actually been pulled over for this? Seriously, where is there going to be a cop if it is deserted enough to be using brights anyways? I would think that if anything, it would be like another small slap in the face that went along with a huge speeding ticket to begin with. I think that this law is more gear towards off road trucks with giant light bars and such.

That being said, I don't mean to discredit CSVT_2004 at all. Great work taking the time to reverse engineer and create a how to. Thanks.

I was working on actually modifying the physical blinker assembly to see if I could modify it right on that, but I have been too lazy to work on it :(

Should have plenty of the Time!!!

Should have plenty of the Time!!!

Just talking with my oldest son in the Rockford area 10-15 inches more snow and up into your area today?
Good luck with the turn-signal switch/assembly, warning when I though both of mind apart of clean an lube (a replacement unit is way toooo $$$$) the 4 way flash button will fly out and be very careful at the end of lever is small plastic tab that operates the small rectangular (the high contacts) in and out of the unit perpendicular to rest of the circuit board plane.. Trying to get lever and that former mentioned piece and the surrounding cover tabs and again the spring loaded roller into it's v shaped track and the levers bearing pins/mount into the circuit board's hole and the covers hole!!! It's an extremely frustrating adventure. We'll at least for this ORF that has trouble seeing small stuff with or without glasses and not to mention the high anxiety (if I break this the $$$$$ just trying to do preventive maintenance???)!!!!
Make sure it's warm also. Got to admit the German company that made did decent job considering the bean-counters pressure for Detroit. The material used in the area of the switch could been a high quality, I'm sure the amount of operations before would have been increased by 50%?IMHO

Just talking with my oldest son in the Rockford area 10-15 inches more snow and up into your area today?
Good luck with the turn-signal switch/assembly, warning when I though both of mind apart of clean an lube (a replacement unit is way toooo $$$$) the 4 way flash button will fly out and be very careful at the end of lever is small plastic tab that operates the small rectangular (the high contacts) in and out of the unit perpendicular to rest of the circuit board plane.. Trying to get lever and that former mentioned piece and the surrounding cover tabs and again the spring loaded roller into it's v shaped track and the levers bearing pins/mount into the circuit board's hole and the covers hole!!! It's an extremely frustrating adventure. We'll at least for this ORF that has trouble seeing small stuff with or without glasses and not to mention the high anxiety (if I break this the $$$$$ just trying to do preventive maintenance???)!!!!
Make sure it's warm also. Got to admit the German company that made did decent job considering the bean-counters pressure for Detroit. The material used in the area of the switch could been a high quality, I'm sure the amount of operations before would have been increased by 50%?IMHO

luckily I had one from a old steering column so no worries if it breaks..., I got it disassembled, the last thing I was working on was actually figuring out what pins did what so I could start tracing them around...

CSVT_2004's hard drive crashed so he doesn't have the Fog Light Mod Version 2.0.zip file anymore. Does anyone have this file? Could I get a copy? Thanks!

Dying Hard drives!!!

Dying Hard drives!!!

So much for an image I thought I had $$#& on DVD's!!!! So much for my Ghost Cd's, whats going on here, like the ole Polaroid film it was when I saved, now it's not. I guess I did something wrong.
Sorry I lost this also yes I'm not as computer literate as I'd like to be!

Damn... yeah... windows server raid software FTL.... thank god I have an Areca card now... so hopefully no more issues... I've just been too busy to put a site back together again... also I lost my fog light docs... as well as the images... if I had the images I probably could put it back together... I just hope someone out there still has a save of it laying around....

In Washington state law states no more than 4 aux lights, So including headlights you could have two running sets of lights, besides, when you turn on your Highs they look like part of the lows, so i would see it as one set... And, Driving withyou Highs on are Illegal here.... So i dunno...its all pers pref.

In Washington state law states no more than 4 aux lights, So including headlights you could have two running sets of lights, besides, when you turn on your Highs they look like part of the lows, so i would see it as one set... And, Driving withyou Highs on are Illegal here.... So i dunno...its all pers pref.

While I am sure that there are some states that vary slightly in their lawbooks, most will not allow more than 4 forward facing lights.. of any kind. This is why the Fogs go off when you turn on the high-beams.

As for "when you turn on your Highs the look like part of the lows so I would see it as one set", that is fine.. YOU can see it as one set.. the LAW sees it as 4 lights illuminating in a forward direction.

Back