• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus VS Mystique. Battle of the 2.0's

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, as some of you may know, my brother picked up a 2002 Focus ZX5 really cheap about a month ago, and i got stuck working on it to make it road worthy. Well now that he has some experience driving stick, he thinks his 2.0 Zetec 5 speed will beat my 2.0 Zetec 5 speed Mystique. What do you guys think?​

Info on the cars...​

1995 Mercury Mystique GS (mine)
2.0 Zetec (126K)
5 speed (105K, with clutch with only 20K)
H&R springs
New LCA's
hollowed cat, no muffler, res. delete
short ram intake
UDP
new 205/60R15's
rear sway bar delete
gutted back half, no spare
new plugs and wires 15K ago
5W30 Mobile 1 Syn (engine) Amsoil syn (trans)
short shifter.
Poly filled rear mount​

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 (brothers car)
2.0 Zetec (185K)
5 speed (185K, 30K est on clutch)
short ram intake
resonator and muffler delete
new 205/50R16's
short ram intake
rear seat delete (still has spare)
new plugs and wires
Factory replacement springs and struts
valvoline 5w30 syn.​

He was thinking his was quicker, but i let him drive it and now he thinks it'll be close. I think i'll have him hands down due to a few small factors. I've been to the strip a few time (64 passes), i drive my car daily (for the past 3 years), and i have slightly more mods than him. Not sure of the Focus's weight, but i think we're close when it comes to that.​

Thoughts?​

It should be close. IIRC the ZX3 and sedan weigh about 2500lbs but im not sure what the ZX5 weighs, probably about 2700 if i had to make a guess. Zetec Contiques are listed at 2800 so they are pretty close in weight. I personally think you will win since you have more experience with your car, but i bet in reality the Focus is a tiny bit faster.

also, the Focus Zetec is listed at 130/130 while the pre98 Zetec was listed at 125/130. I know my brothers 00 ZX3 that i picked up for a beater seems decently quick when you give it a boot full, but still slow compared to what im used to (VR4 :laugh:)

i busted a bracket and was too lazy to get a new one at the junk yard. LOL, Weight savings man!:crazy:

And striker, you think mine still weighs more with the gutted back half?

i busted a bracket and was too lazy to get a new one at the junk yard. LOL, Weight savings man!:crazy:

And striker, you think mine still weighs more with the gutted back half?

Probably since the Contours typically seem to weigh closer to 3000lbs. you should take them both to a weigh station to get exact weights.

i've thought about that, but i'm not sure where to find one. Should i just drive up to one at a truck stop? How do people usually go about doing this?

LMAO, i'll give it a shot. Also, anyone ever take out the whole A/C system w/o taking out the engine? my compressor took a •••• and i dont feel like fixing it. A/C isnt really necessary for me. Plus it might save some weight.

removing the A/C with the engine in the car can be done, since every piece is replaceable without removing the engine anyways.

true. Just looking for more weight savings. my goal this summer is mid 16's if not better. Shouldnt be a problem with the new suspension, wider tires, UDP, and well, a/c.

Thanks. The focus was a business car, with a lot of highway miles. I think i've got him beat, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Focus should be close to 2600 lbs, Mystique close to 2850 lbs. Zetecs are a tad lighter than the Duratecs, plus your 95 didn't have a plethora of amenities. Given your experience and stiffer suspension I think you'll barely edge him out.

whatever you do, have someone video tape it and put it on youtube. i think it'll be about the same. your cars heavier but you have more experience. his car is a bit lighter and a tad quicker.

Focus should be close to 2600 lbs, Mystique close to 2850 lbs. Zetecs are a tad lighter than the Duratecs, plus your 95 didn't have a plethora of amenities. Given your experience and stiffer suspension I think you'll barely edge him out.

Wha? plethora of amenities? lol. Speak retard english. lol. If you mean it doesnt have many power options, then you're wrong. I have more options than the Focus.

drivers being equal, the focus would win imo.

and for what it's worth, I'd get that rear sway bar back on.. a contique without one is just ugh to me.

power windows, power door locks, heated mirrors, power mirrors, cruise control, a/c, rear defrost, aftermarket sunroof, (used to have a power antenna, but swapped out for manual after it broke), glove box light, front and rear dome light, lights in all of the door handles, etc. SO yea, its pretty much loaded.

power windows, power door locks, heated mirrors, power mirrors, cruise control, a/c, rear defrost, aftermarket sunroof, (used to have a power antenna, but swapped out for manual after it broke), glove box light, front and rear dome light, lights in all of the door handles, etc. SO yea, its pretty much loaded.

minus V6, factory sunroof, premium sound, leather, fog lamps, abs and tc to??

mine had every option but V6, leather and premium sound. well atx too since that was an option.

Back