• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus RS

i know someone with them sitting in his garage.

To be more accurate, they are sitting in the boxes still, in the back seat of the car, which is still in the garage . . . :D

Barring any more big surprises, the car should be back on the road in the next week or two. At which time I'll go buy some tires for the RS wheels.

Sweet Rara! i can't wait to see them. i've been debating these wheels since i got my tour... just like to see another SVT with them before i commit to 'em. They've gotta look good, 8" wide with the perfect offset, will fill the wheel wells pefectly and be dead even with the fenders, so no need for over priced wheels spacers!

I really like the size and look of those wheels... I just wish they didn't weigh so much.

That's what happens when wheels have to actually be durable . . . Ford's wheel durability testing is rather severe.

Fwiw, the weights all over are generally the shipping weights and the wheels aren't quite that heavy usually. I want to say these are 21 lbs each. No lightweight, but not to bad for an 18" wheel that you know you won't bend just by pulling into a driveway.

Hopefully I'll have mine on the car in the next few weeks. But, I've still got to find the time to drop the engine back in the car, and get all my vacuum lines and such sorted out.

I'd appreciate it if you could weigh them. 21lbs really isn't bad.. not only for an 18", but an 18x8! I think Ford listed them as 28lbs.

Haven't ordered tires for mine yet, still have some fabrication work to finish before the engine will run. So, it will be at LEAST 2 more weeks before pics of mine will be up. Longer if more crap gets in the way.

thats what i thought...i mean hell, people with a 7" wheel are throwing 235's on, i would think that that would be at least a minimum...

Just because it fits on the wheel doesn't mean it is ideal. I'm not going to the 8" wide wheel just so that I can make my tires wider, I'm partially doing it for a better contact patch, and ultimately better grip and tire wear for whatever model of tire I choose. You don't want your tire to be drastically wider than your wheel, because it forces a bow into the tread surface regardless of what pressure you inflate to. An 8" wide wheel is only 203.2mm wide . . . even a 225 tread will stick out at least 10mm on either side, not to mention further because of the sidewall. For race tires on our Mustangs, we run a 275 tire, and we run the widest wheel we are allowed (10" in this case, though we did prefer the 10.5" wheels we used to run) A 10" wheel is 254mm wide.

All this, plus, I'm not interested in being concerned about rubbing tires every time I go over a speed bump, or have the car loaded up with stuff, or under hard cornering. I can appreciate you guys wanting to go for the "badass" look by fitting as wide a tire as possible, but I'd rather be fast than look fast :D

Back