• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Focus Fuel Pump?

Here you go Tony. This is with the removal of the gas tank in order to clean and inspect it.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...7895&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1
Thanks to IceFury for letting me work on his car.
ROTFL. :laugh: I did not realize your how-to was with the removal of the tank. And did not bother to read it after the exchange (as mine is a 1996 and does not require the dropping of the tank). Incidentally, I do apologize for creating a "scene" :eek: . And thank you for the how-to. :)

T I may be wrong, but why would ford re-design the entire pump module on a car that was out of production and give you a new filler grommet with it? hmmmmmm....

This whole redesigning started as a recall. A recall for one of their best selling products at the time, the Focus. A year or so after that they finally bit the bullit and expanded the recall to the Cougar. A slightly different pump module than the Focus but the same inadequate disc size problem. The Focus recall called for modifying the tank to lock the new pump in from above and Ford provided the cutting tool for the modification.

How Ford got around doing the recall on the Contour at the same time is beyond me. IIRC the Cougar recall was for the 01 and 02 so the 99 and 00 Cougars were left out as well as the Contour. I guess Jac Nasser (or however he spells his last name) fell asleep in his ethics class.

REdesigned contour fuel pump housing is news to me. since i fixed the problem already its done.

the lock ring under the back seat is nothing a flat head screw driver and a hammer can't solve no need for the special tool IMO.

the tool is to cut the plastic ring on the bottom of the tank off. its the part that the module locks into. not the one on the outside of the tank, the one on the inside of the tank. yes, the special tool is required.

Back