• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flywheel issue (possible)?

Blue11

New CEG'er
Hi all, just wondering if anyone here has had any issues with their flywheel? I've got a problem with mine, thought it was the starter at first, replaced that but the problem still persists ( when turing the key, it makes a weird noise, almost like gears grinding). Has anyone else had this problem? If so, where did you get the work done and for how much?

Any other thoughts on what the problem could be?

thanks guys.

I think Jeff had that problem also. Something to do with the starter meshing with the flywheel.

You're correct and I still have the problem now going on 7+ years...... :D

I had it at Ford for a recall many years back and asked them. There response was not to fix it until it won't run. The possiblity is it's the starter or flywheel, but they won't know which one it is until one breaks.

There's a problem where the gears meet and the teeth get ground down (on which part it depends).
When mine does it it takes about 3 engine cranks for the teeth to re-engauge. Thankfully mine only does it about every 25 -30 starts.

Starter cheap kind of easy, flywheel gets costly!

Last edited:
Back