• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fixing problem dint work.

I had the same issue when my VCT solenoid was bad, my timing was like, half a degree off TDC, which isnt bad because the VCT should be able to adjust for such a minor inperfection, but when the motor would get warmed up, especially on hotter days, it would buck completely randomly, it helped if I drove it very slowly, but overall it would buck whenever it wanted too. Basically, you need to replace the VCT solenoid, or find a way to eliminate it, but it sounds more like that even if you successfully eliminate the VCT it will still buck and hesitate, if thats the case, then your timing is off.

i dont think anyone has touched the timing on the car, just problems with vct. The system works about 1/2 the time so i know its in the vct system. striker2 put a link in here for a vct delete kit, im thinking about getting one over the winter and an adjustable gear...which will hopefully fix the problem( performance wise... though it will give me another cel code)

i dont think anyone has touched the timing on the car, just problems with vct. The system works about 1/2 the time so i know its in the vct system. striker2 put a link in here for a vct delete kit, im thinking about getting one over the winter and an adjustable gear...which will hopefully fix the problem( performance wise... though it will give me another cel code)

well you said you just bought the car, and IIRC its above 100K miles, so if the timing belt has never been touched you have a good chance that the best is on its last leg, along with the tensioner.

however, if the car has been doing this ever since you got it... im willing to bet that the last owner had a new belt installed, the shop screwed them and overcharged while not doing the install correctly, they decided instead of getting screwed again they would sell the car to pay the mechanic bill and buy something different. Its very difficult to time the zetec motor properly, especially without the zetec cam/crank locking tool kit, it makes getting Cam timing at TDC extremely difficult without the proper tool. My first contour was stuck in the shop for a week and a half because they had to order the tools straight from Ford, because they had tried 2-3 times to get the timing right without the kit, and failed.

maybe ill think about checking that out then... could be awhile though...

Im still wondering what problems(besides the CEL) i will encounter once i remove VCT?

Back