• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fixing 2nd and 3rd Gear Syncro

Blackcoog

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a SVT that has the 2nd and 3rd gear grind. I picked up another transmission from a local NECO member. I cracked the case open but I'm no expert on transmissions. I tossed the bad diff and installed a good one I had. Syncros seemed to be ok so I installed the transmission. This transmission has the same 2nd and 3rd gear grind. :mad: For a moment there I thought I some how put the old one back in but I didn't... apparently I have really bad luck.

I'm going to fix the old one I have lying in the garage. To fix the 2nd and 3rd gear grind I looked at the MTX75 component list that was posted a while ago. I'm going bare mininum. This car has a stock 2.5L in it and it's going to be a daily driver for a friends dad.

Need to pick up: (ran price check on parts.com and prices have gone up quite a bit on syncros)

1-2 Syncro: F8RZ-7124-AA -> 6S7Z7124E ($97.74)
3-4 Syncro: F8RZ-7124-BA -> 6S7Z7124D ($49.44)
3-4 Syncro Cone: F8RZ-7M000-BB ($49.39) Listed as a roller bearing in one post a while back.

1-2 Inner Blocker Ring: YS4Z-7107-DA ($21.38) (Do I need 2 like mentioned in the excel document?)
1-2 Outer Blocker Ring: F5RZ-7107-B ($24.14) (Do I need 2 like mentioned in the excel document?)

3rd Inner Blocker Ring: F5RZ-7107-DA -> YM2Z7107EB ($12.64)
3rd Outer Blocker Ring: F5RZ-7107-A -> YM2Z7107EB ($12.64)

Do I need anything else? Anyone do this themselves? Do I need a puller or a press?

Thanks,
Chris

Be aware that even when everything is as perfect as it can be this trans has a tendency to have a slightly sloppy (occasionally grinding) 3rd gear.

You may somewhat mitigate that with careful linkage adjustment and the best fluid you can find. The 3rd gear sloppiness eventually went away on mine after switching to the Ford full synthetic manual trans fluid with 2 oz of Ford friction modifier added. It took a few months after changing the fluid to have full effect.

You should really use the adjustment tool to adjust the shift linkages. This needs to be done every time you remove the powertrain, or just trans. This may be the issue in the first place. Cables and cable ends can also cause this.

I can rebuild it for you if you like. I am reasonable on pricing. Pm me for details. Shipping is probably what your trying to avoid Im sure.

You should really use the adjustment tool to adjust the shift linkages. This needs to be done every time you remove the powertrain, or just trans. This may be the issue in the first place. Cables and cable ends can also cause this.

I can rebuild it for you if you like. I am reasonable on pricing. Pm me for details. Shipping is probably what your trying to avoid Im sure.

Now if you two get into building cars together, MN is going to have some awesome 3.0L builds!

I know how to adjust the cables. Its definitely not a cable issue. Double clutching works fine so it's the syncros.

I picked up a used trans from a local junk yard. Supposedly it tested fine the the vehicle before they removed it. I still cracked it open to check it out and the diff was chewed up so I swapped in a good one. I pulled the old trans yesterday and this one will go in tonight or tomorrow when I get some time to work on it.

Parts for the 2nd and 3rd gear fix would have been $220 through Tousley Ford and a trans shop quoted me $350+ to install them. No thanks....

I know how to adjust the cables. Its definitely not a cable issue. Double clutching works fine so it's the syncros.

I picked up a used trans from a local junk yard. Supposedly it tested fine the the vehicle before they removed it. I still cracked it open to check it out and the diff was chewed up so I swapped in a good one. I pulled the old trans yesterday and this one will go in tonight or tomorrow when I get some time to work on it.

Parts for the 2nd and 3rd gear fix would have been $220 through Tousley Ford and a trans shop quoted me $350+ to install them. No thanks....
fwiw livinsvt quoted me less than what you listed for his labor........... might be worth looking into.

fwiw livinsvt quoted me less than what you listed for his labor........... might be worth looking into.

Doesn't matter now I already pulled the old trans and bought a junk yard tranny from a 2000 Cougar which is ready to go in today. If I still have issues I'm going to go nuts.

On the plus side I am very experienced with removing and install transmissions by lowering the subframe. Previously I always swapped engines at the same time so I pulled it all out the top.

Double clutching can sometimes hide mis-aligned cables. You mentioned knowing how to do it, so I assume you have the tool. Also if that trans has been rebuilt before, I have seen the gears not pressed on all the way cause issues as well.

Double clutching can sometimes hide mis-aligned cables. You mentioned knowing how to do it, so I assume you have the tool. Also if that trans has been rebuilt before, I have seen the gears not pressed on all the way cause issues as well.

New trans is in and the car drives fine. No grind! :laugh:

more importantly, mis-aligned cables can make the shift tower bolt shear easier and the cable ends break easier, lol.

i figure after about 50 3L swaps (literally) chris has no issue in adjusting cables. however, i have met a few people that needed their cables adjusted, and didnt even know it.

more importantly, mis-aligned cables can make the shift tower bolt shear easier and the cable ends break easier, lol.

i figure after about 50 3L swaps (literally) chris has no issue in adjusting cables. however, i have met a few people that needed their cables adjusted, and didnt even know it.

:blackeye: I've had my trans out a total of 3 times and never adjusted the cables...

this is probably the problem i have with my trans. it grinds going into 2nd no other gear and quite often as well. :nonono:

i know this is an old thread. but im taking my tranny apart soon and i wanna replace everything i should while in in there. so how do you change the 2-3 syncros?

pull the gears out and just replace it? and reassemble?

Back